full face or three quarter helmet with face shield?

Started by starrider, December 08, 2008, 09:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

December 08, 2008, 09:56:06 PM Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:25:47 PM by Starrider
Hi guys!.....I am thinking about getting a full face shielded helmet or three quarter.....mainly to keep the bugs cold wind  off my face. Looking for the LIGHTEST WEIGHT one... that gives the best periferal vision ability. I have been wearing the HD half helmet i bought in 2000...my lucky helmet.

The advantages of a half helmet are ...for me... IMO...is your sense of the cars or traffic is less hampered. With a half helmet you can hear or sense that cager pulling up and riding in your blind spot before you see him.

The full helmet...seems like you have a fish bowl over  your head and lessens your sensitiy or awareness of what is around you somewhat ...JMO.

I know that that is not true... as many of you do just fine with them.

SOoooooo.....What are some of the popular ones that you would recommend?... LIGHT WEIGHT is desirable...Thanks in advance...  :wink:

HeritageSpecial

Hi Starrider, I wear a shortie most rides, but for cold weather I wear a Nolan N42 3/4 helmet. It has provision for their N-COMM systen (which I do not have, want, or use) a single air vent, and a removable flip down sun-visor which works quite well for me. The liner is removable for cleaning, and the fit is excellent (on my head anyway). As far as lightweight, I suppose it would fall into the medium weight category.

I'm not keen on full face due to restricted vision, and if you have aftermarket pipes they can resonate badly. The N42 resonates as well, but is OK.

Good luck on your quest!

Regards,
HS

2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

starrider

Thanks Heritagespecial! :beer:....checked out a pic of your helmet...looks cool... :up:

Bakon

Wife and I got some HArley 3/4 a year or two ago. The face shield comes off and a visor can be put on. Works really well. Also have a full face from when the kids were young. I can squeeze it on if needed. Very warm for the cold months.
wasting time

Eagle99

Maybe try wearing  a balaclava , then your lucky Harley helmet

Flat Dog

Ken R

I feel safest with my full face.  It's a flip-front type so it's heavy.  I really don't like it very much because of the weight and confined feel; but I wear it often.  You get used to the limited awareness of your surroundings and make adjustments. 

I also have two 3/4 helmets.  The Harley one is the best, by far.  It has a snap-on visor and/or face shield.  The shield is good; replaceable for when it gets scratched or when I want clear or tinted.  I doubt the shield would provide much protection against a face slide.

I also have a couple of half helmets.  I use them for parking lot practice.  They don't provide much protection except from falling onto the pavement when stopped or almost stopped.   Not much chance of head injury, but one never knows. 

Quite honestly, you get used to whatever you wear.  The full face takes the most adjustment, but once you've worn one for a while, it's not bad.  Crotchrocket riders and racers wear full face helmets.  If anyone needs quick visibility and awareness, they do.

Ken

starrider

Thanks guys... :beer: Appreciate your suggestions and replies :beer:!

marc

I have been wearing full face helmets for the last 15 years...I'm on my 3rd one which is my first flip up and I love it...Pretty quiet too...Only problem is they are more difficult to fit than the o'l brain bucket that I use to throw on...

apes

Many years ago a friend was thrown form his bike on a So Cal freeway and as he was sliding face down  he said he opened his eyes and he saw the pavement just inches from his face he said had it not been for the full coverage helmet, his face would have been ground down.   The chin guard on the helmet was ground down well in to the fiberglass.....

ukrmh

I tried a full-face helmet, but it was too claustrophobic for me!  We have to wear helmets year-round in MO, and I wear a half helmet in the summer, and a flip-up Fulmer in the winter.  I had a Nolan flip-up, but it got to be pretty old  so I trashed it. Remember, don't purchase or wear a new helmet unless it has just recently been manufactured.  The composites in them deteriorate after 5 years or so, they are not safe, and will not withstand an impact, even if the helmet has never been taken out of the box!  Look for the date of manufacture inside the helmet, or inside its lining.  If the helmet was made a couple of years ago, the dealer should discount it substantially!
The flip-up helmets are heavy, but you get used to them after a while.  Also, you can open the visor, or just flip them up and enjoy a 3/4 helmet.  Ride safe!
Bob

NotaFATBOB

The flip up hemets u r speaking of are they the MODULAR ones or some other type. Has anyone ried a MODULAR or seen one yet? The look like u can use them three ways, with sun visor built in with vents u can open and close. any comments on these?

Bigs

My personal favorite is the Harley Jet II. If it's warmer I ofter ride with the shield up. It's nice when you are riding around town in warm weather and have the shield up. Great side vision compared with my modular helmet. The Jet II is also quieter than my HJC modular.
    Bigs

Beave

After 25 yrs of riding with just a half helmet I bought my first flip face/ modular four years ago.  I ended up with a a Zeus and then a Fulmer.  I couldn't handle a regular full face, but the modulars work quite well and these are cheap enough to replace every couple years.  They are relatively light, have a decent field of vision, are reasonably quiet, and can fog like crazy behind the RK windsheild.  I use a fog city insert (works great) and yes you can ride with them up as a giant visor, just don't turn your head too far.
With speed comes stability.

bigpete1

i use a agv dragon it is a3/4 helmet looks like helicopter pilot helmet came with a smoke shield and clear sheild wear it all year thanks pete

starrider

Thanks again guys!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: I am sure with this info...we'll find one... :wink:

HV

Quote from: bigpete1 on December 09, 2008, 05:34:29 PM
i use a agv dragon it is a3/4 helmet looks like helicopter pilot helmet came with a smoke shield and clear sheild wear it all year thanks pete

I use the Dragon too ... Flat Black ... nice fitting and light weight ...I like the tight fit around my ears... nice and quiet.. ( yes im an old FART )
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Princess Butt

I wear a full face when commuting in the winter; it keeps my face and neck warmer, and when it rains or hails, I just say to myself "I'm glad I have a full face on today."

During the warm months, I'll wear a 3/4 most of the time. I've found the 3/4 is good down into the lower 40's, at which point the full face is preferred.

Now, when I pull that full face off the shelf (usually in October), it takes some getting used to. I actually hear more wind noise with a full face than a 3/4 helmet. Go figure. It's a Shoei RF800, which is now 8 years old; it still looks good, but it's showing it's age. I'm looking at HJC this time.

Harley FXRG carbon full face helmets are made by HJC, and it's a nice lid. I like the way HJC fits, so I'm leaning that direction. I cashed out enough "Chrome Cash" to pay for a good chunk of a new helmet, so it's looking like I'll get a new lid soon. I've tried on the modular helmets before, and I've found them to be heavy. I prefer a regular full face, it's lighter.

One thing surprising, I've found a well fitting full face is more comfortable than a lot of the cheap half helmets. Many of the cheap half helmets are hard inside, and they feel lumpy against my scalp.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Glide1962

With the AGV Dragon how much wind gets to your eyes?  I like the looks of the helmet but I wear contacts and can't take much wind in my eyes without irritation.  Thanks.

HV

With the shield down it just comes up under a bit ..I wear glasses and had a hard time wearing goggles ..but didn't want a full face... if you tip your head down slightly ..no wind in your eyes at all.. and of course if you have any kind of wind shield at all you get none
Skype HV.HTT

marc

With the AGV Dragon how much wind gets to your eyes?  I like the looks of the helmet but I wear contacts and can't take much wind in my eyes without irritation.  Thanks.

I wear contacts too... I always wear sun glasses so my eyes are usually fine...

sharkoilfield

I ride different bikes at times; knowing I was going to be on a Beemer for a week, I bought a modular Nolan. That would also allow me to ride my bike (FXDXT) with a short windscreen on the fairing. Anyhow; a month later I'm on a CBR1000R and hit a deer. I got up after and walked; $8000 damage to the bike and $1000 worth of gear wrecked on me. Nurse told me had I not been wearing a full face I'd have broken my neck as I hit the back of my head hard enough to knock me out for a few moments and the chinbar kept my head from snapping foreward onto my chest. I replaced that helmet with the same one and still occaisionally wear a 3/4 but am preferring my modular most of the time. Works better in poorer weather, but I do have to open the visor a bit in the rain. It also has a built in shade that's easier to use than sunglasses.....

Kansas

I reecently bought a HJC Sy-Max II flip front helmet and love it.  It cuts through the wind great, the flip front makes putting my glasses on easy, I can crack open the windscreen for ventilation, and the slide down sunscreen is a great idea.  It isn't light but it is so aerodynamic it doesn't feel heavyish to me when I'm riding.   :up: :up: :up:

txrooster

Been considering a Shoei modular for sometime now just haven't bit the bullet yet. For now it's a Carbon fiber DOT Polo.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

drgn*95

My current helmet is a KBC HD modular that I really like. Have a half helmet (crossbones) that just sits on the shelf (still new), because i like the fit and versitality of the popup lid. Any way my visor after three years wont stay on any more and am looking for another helmet. Do you guys buy online hoping it fits? Have looked online at some Nolans, and Shoei modulars that look promising but really think trying them on would be best. Limited availability in close proxcimity (?) to me. Suggestions.......

RKC03

Rode to work tonight, 31 degrees, had my heavyweight balaclava under my 1/2 helmet. Have goggles over opening for eyes....enough cold finds it's way around goggles to make me consider a full face, but like you...I don't want more weight on my shoulders....we in Mo don't have a choice on wearing helmets or not....many wear the novelty helmets to appease the MAN......have had occasions when I've been glad as evidenced by the scrape marks...my newest helmet is 5 years old...guess I'll have to make a decision myself...soon    :wink:  RKC03
RKC03

HV

Years ago I Ice Raced on lakes around here...wore a Full Face MX with Goggles and a good Scarf .....or Balaclava ... 30 below WFO  :up:
Skype HV.HTT

RKC03

Just rode home from work...18 degrees, bike barely wanted to start  :crook:  ....sat outside overnight...maybe the bike will determine what temp I ride in...was darn cold...goggles kept fogging up...bike coughed at times...was and still am thinking of heated gear...just not sure if gloves only or any other article of clothing.... was thinking salt and cinders would be what would keep me from riding to work once in a while.... will say the ride wasn't the most enjoyable :wink:
RKC03

Flat Dog

I'm with the guys who go full face in the great white north. Winter time and a 1/2 helmet is (IMO) just plain nuts, and you could end up losing face parts. Nothing like having your necrotic nose drop off after riding to work with a snazzy HD half helmet on. Whoops!!!