May 08, 2024, 09:07:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1ST mASTERTUNE LOAD

Started by arnold, May 17, 2010, 07:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arnold

WELL TOMORROW I'M LOADING MY 1ST MAP ON MY BIKE (tts) Sorry bout the caps). Was going to do it today but woke up to find the laptop loaned out, Ill go get it tomorrow.
I have decided to run two maps and decide which run's best and start with that.
Two questions:
After I save my currant stock map, do I just load up the map of choice without making any changes and work on the rest with the v-tune, or make some changes right off the bat? I think I do the changes with the v-tune.
Also I only save the 1st original stock map right?
I was going to swap maps several times to pick the original starting map unless its very obvious to me.
Sorry if these seem like simple questions but I want to get it right.
Thanks
Anarchy is only truly fun for the rational anarchist
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles

glens

The main reason for "saving" the bike's calibration is to be able to recover the ECM if you lose power while programing it or something which leaves it in a confused state.  You can save any calibration off the bike, and in fact I think it's a good idea to "save" your finished product, too.  It could save you a step or two later on, maybe.

If you don't have a calibration close-enough to what you need, then you might have to run a couple of them like you said.  But how will you know which one is better?  I mean, what methods do you plan to use?  Just seat of the pants, or are you also going to datalog and take a look at that too?

If you're unsure, it might be prudent to just run a vtune on the calibration first thing.  You don't need to change anything in it beforehand for this purpose.  Just ride around pretty granny-like for 10 or 15 minutes and take a look at what the vtune software wants to do with the map.  If one runs better by feel and/or has smaller corrections being made, then you can proceed with that one.  There might be a few "wrong" ways to do it, but there are more "right" ones if you're careful enough.

arnold

I had trouble getting my laptop to connect to my ecu, ( which is kind of a hoot I'm an IT guy and sit behind a pc 10 hrs a day), but oh well, called Steve and he pointed out I forgot to download the usb serial and I was on my way-!st test starting map is amazing, all the backfiring is gone, bike screams up to just under 100, (that part will tune in later). Acceleration is improved nicely-All this and I haven't touched anything but downloaded a base map, cant wait to see where this ends up. I'm going out now and try my 2nd option for a base before I choose which map to start on. Fine tune and extrapolating for top end will come later, If I get good nuff results with the v-tune I'm not going to think about a dyno tune till after the cams are in, if I cant tune to go 120 or better, Ill have it tuned next week.
Cant wait to start the v-tune process, this site provides lots of good solid info as well as the manufacturer providing support, I think I will be really happy playing with my new toy :wink:
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles

arnold

2nd map was even more impressive, got 15 more in the top end, so no telling where it will end up, nice thing about this is I think Ill do two or 3 maps, 1 for in town hauling asp, one for highway high speed and a road trip map for mileage, one thing at a time, I'm gonna start the v-tune tomorrow.
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles

FLTRI

Quote from: arnold on May 19, 2010, 09:14:40 PM
....I think Ill do two or 3 maps, 1 for in town hauling asp, one for highway high speed and a road trip map for mileage,...
Your examples represent different areas of mapping. So you can have 1 calibration that does it all. Once you've done a few V-tunes you will find the areas you refer to and custom set the AFR map to those AFR targets.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

arnold

May 20, 2010, 07:02:07 PM #5 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:12:46 PM by arnold
Quote from: FLTRI on May 20, 2010, 08:51:50 AM
Quote from: arnold on May 19, 2010, 09:14:40 PM
....I think Ill do two or 3 maps, 1 for in town hauling asp, one for highway high speed and a road trip map for mileage,...
Your examples represent different areas of mapping. So you can have 1 calibration that does it all. Once you've done a few V-tunes you will find the areas you refer to and custom set the AFR map to those AFR targets.
HTH,
Bob

Do you mean just use one map for all or use one map and make 3 versions of same?
It rained here today so I made no v-tune runs, the way my work and Saturday small road trip are set up I wont start doing any data gathering till next week(I'm off 3 days during the week I usually work all week end)
The base tune is so good I'm just going to run it till next week, already runs better than the PCIII ran, better acceleration, close to the high end ( I took it out at 1 am this morning and touched 120, which is below top end but encouraging for a base map) Im sure I could ride on the base for a while but I'm so encouraged I really am looking forward to the v-tune.
My thanks to Steve, a few short ph calls, a wealth of knowledge, great product spt!!
I would like to hear more about your idea on your comment of the one map so please elaborate when you get time.
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles

wurk_truk

May 20, 2010, 07:21:52 PM #6 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:29:11 PM by wurk_truk
A truly well tuned bike will meet ALL of the goals you have outlined.  The power commander crowd likes to say 'one can have different maps for different applications"... Nothing more than 'marketing' and THAT is BS, in MY book.

A proper running engine INHERENTLY gets its best mileage, its best power, and its best road side manners from ONE good tune.  If you 'tuned' specifically for mileage, then the engine would have a tendency to run hot.  If you tune specifically for power it could be rich and a 'ping monster'.  It is all about... how "efficient" is an engine.  The more efficient it is, naturally... the more powerful and fuel saving it will be.

On a street bike... multiple to the 'nth' degree' maps would offer HUGE sacrifices in other areas.

On a STREET ridden bike (or ANY vehicle) a single proper tune is whats happening.

As you 'grow' in your abilities with this tuning and v-tuning crap, you will see that what I say is true.  If you have a crap box tuner solution... then MAYBE you DO need multiple maps, because ONE TRUE GOOD TUNE IS NOT AVAILABLE, but now that you can change the actual 'code' INSIDE of the ECM, instead of twicking the ECM, you will see that efficiency WILL equal the best overall engine performance.
Oh No!

arnold

Fair nuff :smile: I will tune the map I have chosen as a base and tune it to the best of my ability, I was Indeed running a PCIII (not a bad product but I have much higher expectations from the TTS). Truly one map does sound like the best way to go If I can get my desired results.
Thanks
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles

FLTRI

Quote from: arnold on May 20, 2010, 08:29:20 PM
Fair nuff :smile: I will tune the map I have chosen as a base and tune it to the best of my ability, I was Indeed running a PCIII (not a bad product but I have much higher expectations from the TTS). Truly one map does sound like the best way to go If I can get my desired results.
Thanks
If you are talking v-tuning all you need to do is learn the procedure and techniques for getting to all the cells needed, the software will tune most of it for you.

If you do not have v-tune capability, the only way to properly tune a bike is by measuring the AFR from the exhaust and make corrections to applicable cells in the mapping.

Either purchase the equipment (AFR meter and O2 sensor(s) and mount them to your bike so you can ride and write down the AFR readings so you can make changes to the VEs to correct the readings.....Or have a tuner dyno tune your bike. $$ about the same.

Hope this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

arnold

I have what i need to v-tune, new 02 sensors and a laptop to put in my saddlebag to make v-tune runs.
I checked my mileage tonight, it has improved by 5 to 11 mpg depending on how I rode with the PCIII. In order to get the performance I wanted I had it set to rather high gas usage. I was getting 29 mpg normal (for me, I ride a little hard) to 35 running like an old man at 60 on the high way with little or no accelerating.
Tonight I got 40mpg, that's before tuning and normal riding, I don't really ride with mileage in mind, but that is a significant improvement.
2008 FXDF 64,101 miles