May 07, 2024, 05:20:09 PM

News:

Oil Temp guage for FLH

Started by RKC03, December 09, 2008, 09:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

Is there any other choices for monitoring oil temp other than the electronic dipstick that H-D sells, have heard that half of them break/go bad?  TIA     Joe
RKC03

JamLazyAss

have heard that half of them break/go bad?

From what I've seen, that would be correct.
I've seen several of them be returned to the Stealer when I worked in parts.
Not sure what else is available.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Scramjet

December 09, 2008, 09:31:38 AM #2 Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:15:32 PM by Scramjet
Do a search.  There are numerous posts on the oil temp gauge replacement for the useless air temp gauge.  Harley and McEwen both sell gauges that fit.  It has been debated endlessly (if not here then on the old HTT).

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

Coyote

Most replace the air temp gauge with the oil temp gauge. Make sure to put the temp sensor in the oil pan, not the cooler lines.

marc

I replaced the useless air temp guage with a McEwan oil temp guage...Looks great and works unlike the air temp guage...

Tex_Bagger

I can absolutely Testify that the Air Temp gague is wrong 100% of the time on most baggers.  This is my third FLH and I swear every time I say I'm gonna get that Oil Temp gague and replace what Harley should already be doing.  If they're going to put in a thermometer for gods sake get it right.  It's not like this is new tech stuff here.  I got thiis little digi readout in my 2000 chevy silverado thats always right.  Cmon Harley!  Still don't have the dam oil temp gague!
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

marc

Forgot to mention that I have also have had the same electronic dipstick since 04 and the reading is not that far off from my McEwan guage which I got 2 years ago...My temp sender is in the pan too......

Coyote

Quote from: Tex_Bagger on December 09, 2008, 05:06:17 PM
I can absolutely Testify that the Air Temp gague is wrong 100% of the time on most baggers.  This is my third FLH and I swear every time I say I'm gonna get that Oil Temp gague and replace what Harley should already be doing.  If they're going to put in a thermometer for gods sake get it right.  It's not like this is new tech stuff here.  I got thiis little digi readout in my 2000 chevy silverado thats always right.  Cmon Harley!  Still don't have the dam oil temp gague!

Actually it's pretty accurate. It does a great job of telling you the temp inside your fairing!  :wink:

If you like the air temp and want it to show the outside temp, just pull the fairing and locate the sensor (white cube) located on the left side. Cut and extend the wires so the sensor can be mounted outside the fairing under the triple tree.  :up:

Tex_Bagger

Thanx much for the tip.  I appreciate it and I may do this just because I want my gauges correct.  You know what really is the culprit here?  We are actually on the bike, outside, and know the temp already, and there are basic things we just know by virtue of being outside.  It's either Hot, nice, or cold with varying degrees of all.
2016 CVO Street Glide (Black)D&D fatcat
2020 FLRT Freewheeler Trike Bone Stock

marc

Actually it's pretty accurate. It does a great job of telling you the temp inside your fairing!  :wink:

Yeah...LOL...I use to love it when it was about 70 and the guage registered 120...

tireater

Temp. gauges depress me...If I am not cold...why would I want something telling me I should be.... :down:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

FLH_Rider

December 10, 2008, 06:11:32 AM #11 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:45:33 AM by FLH_Rider
If you go back to the old MSN HTT site and look in the Tech Tips. You will find a picture of a '87 FLT oil gauge in place of the air temp gauge.
There are a couple of pic's showing the sensor in the oil pan. There was a lot of discussion on it years back and if you don't want the sensor sticking into the oil pasage use an bushing adapter (can't remember what it is called) that will allow it to be on the edge of the oil passage.
I don't know the cost differences but if I remember correctly getting the sending unit and gauge was much less than the kit.