April 27, 2024, 04:51:05 PM

News:

cylinders & pistons

Started by QuickSand, December 09, 2008, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSand

I just recieved an 883 coverstion kit.I can't find any markings for front and rear on the cylinder.They look exactly the same.Same way with the Wiseco pistons .The valve pockets look to be the same i thought one would be larger than the other.Any help would be appreciated.

Lawless

Just did this upgrade on my bro's bike and the cylinders are the same for front or rear. Pistons should have the arrow pointing forward.( toward front of bike )  Hope this helps.
Lawless

Panzer

If it doesn't have an arrow on the top of the pistons, then there should be a "V" notch on the top.
Still faces front.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

QuickSand

I thank you all for the info.Iwas really throwed off with out front and back.(i quess i'm used to the old shovel).I do have another question,what would you all recommend for ring gap on the wiseco's.Wiseco recommends 014 to 025.But it's been suggested takem out to 025.At the present all are 016. pease let me know what you think. :up: :up: :up:

fbn ent

Can't remember what mine were but I would imagine if it was within manufacturer's spec I would have let them go. One thing though, don't be idleing when you start up the new top end. Take off right away and run 'er easy for the first few miles. I've seen many scuffed pistons from heating at startup.
My $.02.
R
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

skulloz

16 thou will be fine! 25 thou is too big, its at the upper end of the wear limit.
Keep the wind in your face and the bugs off your teeth!

1coolsts

with my experience with weiscos, the arrow always points toward the exhuast.

o113attitude

I agree, arrows always go towards exhaust.

Hillside Motorcycle

.............and when it comes to spark plugs, the threaded end goes in. :hyst:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"