May 01, 2024, 06:23:11 PM

News:

Prototype help

Started by Quick_2s, December 09, 2008, 03:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quick_2s

I have an idea for a combo battery box oil tank to be mounted out front of the downtubes, need some input from fab guys and motor guys on ooil flow and structural integrity. Attached is a rough first draft.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
The only stupid question is the one not asked!

PanHeadRed

Here is two cents.

Looks like a lot of weight and potential flex out front, not to mention the re-rout of the oil lines. The purpose being what?

Quick_2s

The weight is the reason, I want to re-distribute the weight lower to the ground and farther forward. I figure that lowering the center of gravity and moving it farther forward should give me better handling and make it easier to launch hard off the line without seeing the sky so much. I think the look would be good if I can make it to resemble a front scoop. Also the cooling effect should be much greater out front. I'm thinking if I can make it work I can also hollow out the stock tank and use it for storage or just do away with it all together.

Quick_2s

Some of the info I'm after is do I need 2 return lines or can I run them together into 1 larger diameter 1. I was going to fab it from stainless because thats what I predominately work with in my line of work or would aluminum be a better choice. I plan on rubber mounting it to reduce metal fatigue, and what would be a good mounting point(s) for the bottom. Re-routing the power and ground should be simple and the bottom of the tank section should end up high enough for the gravity feed to be adequate. Can I cap the normal returns and return the oil off the plugs at the filter. Just looking for some feed back on what would be a good workable design. Here is a more detailed .jpg version to look at.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

DGlide04

I understand the reason for the move, but the trade off between lower weight and the battery/oil tank being more likely to be damaged by road trash may not be worth it.  A battery and oil tank combo has to be a pretty good size.  I hope you work it out, would like to see some photos posted when you get a mock up done.

FLTRI

Nothing wrong with the concept. It's been done before, usually one off custom show bike. As long as you have no plans for x-country riding where you may need dealer/shop support, you should be fine. Just be sure to put some kind of protection over the front in case of rock damage.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Quick_2s

The whole thing "in concept" would be fully enclosed with an access door for the battery compartment and if my oil volume is more than needed maybe a couple of cooling slots made through the tank section.