May 09, 2024, 07:25:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1986 883 sportster

Started by E.T., May 25, 2010, 05:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.T.

My 1986 883 was not running for a year ,when I started it oil poured out of the breather.I heard tappets were noisy so I removed the dipstick and got covered in oil that seemed to be under pressure. Is this what is known as sumping ?What can I do to fix this problem? Any help would be appredciated.
                                                                      Thanks E.T.

andyxlh

Hello mate
yes that sounds as if it is sumping - remmeber Harleys use a dry sump and keep the oil in a seperate tank, held back by check valve in the pump system. over a long period the oil seeps past this and sits in the sump, and gets spewed out with the crankcase pressure when u start it.
The noisy tappets is caused by them needing oil pressure to pump them up, which takes a while to happen after not running for so long.
I can't remember if they have a sump drain plug under the engine in the case - I have neve had to use mine, but did it on a shovel once. If it is there just drain the oil out of the sump and then refil the tank. If you have already run the bike you have already pumped much of it back I would imagine anyway (or sent it out of the breather)
Otherwise, you could get the oil out by removing the oil pump from the cam case which is only 4 bolts, but it is a pig of a job unless you have a lift. Just removing the lines from the pump won't drain the oil I believe as they have a self check system (which should stop the sumping but does not in the long term).
I'm not sure of the likely damage (if any) caused by letting the bike spew the old oil out of the breather and pump what it can back to the tank, apart from increased oil pressure and this pressure on old gaskets. I'd wait and someone more experienced (like Major) should be able to post something to help you with the details.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble