May 01, 2024, 05:17:36 PM

News:

Rear Brake Question

Started by Dresser, December 09, 2008, 05:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dresser

I put new pads on my rear brake last week. The bike has about 22k miles on it. I followed the procedure in the manual. I pushed the wheel cylinder pistons back in and oriented the pads with the curved part to the rear. The brakes seem to work fine. What bugs me is even though the brakes don't feel like they're dragging the disc is getting so hot after 20 miles of riding if you touch it you will leave skin on the disc. Even after the disc is hot there is no noticeable drag on the wheel by the brake.

I checked it with a hand held infrared thermometer. The disc is getting between 120-140 degrees F. In my experience this is to hot. I talked to a Harley mechanic I trust. He said not to worry about it that this common and will get better as the pads wear in.

I'm looking for your experiences & suggestions on this one. My Shovel & EVO never did this. I'm baffled.

Dresser

fleetmechanic

The pistons on the '00 and up calipers don't retract very much even at best.  We have a fleet of FLHTPIs and all of them have very hot discs front and rear any time they come back in.  But we've had no trouble with warped discs like we did on the evos with one large piston in the caliper.  I wouldn't worry about unless it's hot enough to boil away brake fluid.

Dresser