May 09, 2024, 10:05:20 AM

News:

Clutch

Started by cyclobutch, May 26, 2010, 05:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclobutch

Well, bike ('89 1200) was finally back together after the amusing gearbox malady appearing on the day I bought it. Swapped a large wheelbarrow full of cash for it's return on Saturday morning. Thought I'd give Mrs B a bit of a treat that evening and so we headed out for the speedway. Clutch (actuation) failed on the way home - an amusing time was had with a run and jump after each stop from there on in. Not sure I'm liking this bike.

Cable proved to be OK, so it's gone back in to have to primary drive pulled again. I'm presuming it's an Assembly fault and maybe I don't get to pay this time around.

But as an aside - how would I change the clutch cable on this bike if I had to?
B
'88 XLH1200

andyxlh

Hello mate
By clutch actuation you mean that the drive did not release as you pulled the clutch in? did the clutch cable have an even tension as you pulled it in? could you change gear at all?
If it is not the cable I'd say there's something awry with the transmission assembly, the shift should be clunky and very positive - it is difficult to miss a gear with this transmission. The transmission needs shimming for endplay if anything has been changed in it, but if you only did the shifter cam then you should not need that as long as the spacers all went back in the right place. Again later ones don't need this shimming process but there u go.
The large circlip could have come off the clutch basket iif the cable suddenly went loose but was not broken - this is what holds the spring and pressure plate on to the plates. The shop manual says to use a new one for each dismantle, but I have reused them and had no problems. The strip down will tell.
To change the cable you have to pull the primary cover - which is actually a quick operation, just loosen the clutch adjuster and remove the allen bolts and LH footpeg and shifter arm. Later models you can change the clutch cable thro' the derby cover but like I said this is version 1.0 of the evo sportster. I've had two cable changes - one for cosmetic reasons, in 21 years so it's not an everyday problem as long as you keep the cable lubed.
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

cyclobutch

Yeah. Lost all resistance at the lever all at once. Figured it wasn't the cable. I'd checked the manual I now have and noted that circlip - and the advice that it's to be replaced each time. And that was the problem, now sorted at the shop and no charge.

And a primary case pull for a cable change - that's a nice touch; lucky it's built heavy. One to keep an eye on I guess.

These early days of ownership are certainly showing up a few crimes against nature.
B
'88 XLH1200

andyxlh

I must admit you have been unlucky, but at least you really 'know' your bike!
As I said I reuse those circlips once or twice and have not had one break before, but there u go.
Sounds like you are willing to persevere with the old girl, things should get better!
Cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble