May 08, 2024, 10:00:13 PM

News:

Brands of gasoline versus mileage

Started by Ken R, May 27, 2010, 06:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

May 27, 2010, 06:59:37 PM Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:40:59 PM by Ken R
I was thinking all gas was the same.  It all comes from a handful of refineries, I'm told.  But a trend is developing with me.

I seem to get the best gas mileage when I fill at Shell stations.  Just the other day, I got 43.5 mpg from Abilene to Dallas on a tank of Shell 91 Octane. 

What got me to thinking was that two days prior, I filled in Dallas with Valero 93 Octane.  I had to stop 15 miles short of Abilene to fill again; only got 37.5 mpg. 

Now, that's a huge difference!  I think I'll begin to collect data when traveling cross country and see which brand my motor likes the best. 

Any other gasolene brand preferences?

R.Bingham

I seem to notice that too. When I fill up here in Frisco,TX at Rudy's (Fina) I always get about 43mpg but at other places,usually chevron or valero I only get 40mpg. I wonder if it has anything to do with ethanol content?
Randall

smittyon66

There's a lot of other variables that may have affected your mileage. You might have gotten reformulated gas in Dallas, also head winds or tail winds can have a big effect.

About reformulated gas.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg.htm

Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Admiral Akbar

More specifically..

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/ostp-3.pdf

Very interesting, but remember this is coming from the government..  :wink:

Max

Ken R

May 27, 2010, 08:26:43 PM #4 Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:41:18 PM by Ken R
Quote from: smittyon66 on May 27, 2010, 07:49:31 PM
There's a lot of other variables that may have affected your mileage. You might have gotten reformulated gas in Dallas, also head winds or tail winds can have a big effect.

About reformulated gas.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg.htm

Oh yeah, there are so many variables.  But I'm speaking only of tanks of gas used on the highways in whatever conditions I encounter.  Sometimes it's hot, sometimes cool.  Sometimes headwinds, crosswinds, or no winds.  Sometimes there are altitude gains or losses.   So I'm not simply comparing one out and back trip.  I'm thinking back, even through a couple of years of riding to see a pattern developing.  Goin' on a 3,000 mile long trip in a couple of weeks.  I'll keep records.  It'll be fun.  :wink:

Tsani

That bit on enleanment caught my eye! Hmmmmmm
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

fatboy

All the meters of the pumps read differently, mostly of the low side; nobody really checks the accuracy. Small different in fill your tank to the top and the accuracy of the meter reading of the pump will change that MPG reading by a large number.

dunbarton

I suspect the conditions rather than the fuel itself will affect mpg most although I understand the greater the % ethanol, the lower the mpg.
I don't use an octane higher than necessary because it doesn't make the bike perform better or deliver better mileage. So far under average conditions regular gas (87 octane) works fine in my bike. In extreme conditions (ie  mountains, strong headwinds, high speed, extreme temperature, poorer quality gas) I may have to shift to mid-grade to avoid pinging/detonation etc.
I'm setting out on a 4K mile adventure next week through the central U.S. so I'll be watching my economy too. This will be my first trek since converting the bike from FI to carb so that should be interesting.   

Desperado

This is as good as an oil thread - everybody will have an opinion and different results.  I suspect that there is probably as much variation between loads of gasoline and accuracy of pumps at a particular brand station as there is between brands.

I can say that I ride out of Dallas as well.  I keep record of every tank of gas that goes into my bike or cars - have all my life.  I can tell you that when I get out of the metropolitan counties that require the "anti-polution" gas, my mileage always goes up.  As soon as you notice that the gas pumps no longer have the recirculation attachment to the nozzle, you know that you are out of the regulated areas.  I can also say that as soon as I get into some altitude, the mileage also goes up - Dallas is about 600 feet above sea level.  I will see worse mileage - especially on my 5 gallon tank motorcycle if I don't ride much, ie., evaporation or whatever (ethanol gets moisture in it?).  When I burn the tank within a couple of hours or days, I get better mileage than when the tank lasts me a couple of weeks.  I do try to stay with tier 1 gasoline and do seem to get a little better mileage from Chevron, Texaco and Shell than from Race-Track for instance, but that's only with the high octane gas.  With regular in the car, it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I noted with interest the positive comments on Fina.  That's what I mean about this being like an oil thread.  I will never use Fina.  Its the only gas I have ever used that made my Cushman motorscooter knock.  'Course that was back in the early 60's and could have been a bad load at that station, but I have never put Fina in anything again.  Very narrow minded on my part.  When I was riding to Alaska, in much of the Yucon and Northwest territories regular is all that you can find.  In Dallas heat, 87 octane would ping like mad in my 95 CI engine, but up there in the cooler temperature and higher altitude, I never had one ping.  Ran beautifully.  So answers will be effected by where you live, the temperature there and the altitude.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

L-

Used to travel 2000 miles per month for 18 months. Gas makes a difference. Slight, but there.  I noticed this in  two vehicles that I own. I prefer Shell first over others and then Chevron. But an out of the way place with a Chevron or Shell sign may still be getting gas from the lowest vendor.   Now diesel, that is a crap shoot with as much as 2 miles per gallon depending on what they have in there.

L-

Sam45

shell and BP 76   seems to be what I like.  If I am happy then my bike is happy.   :scratch:

redmtrckl

I got bad gas too. Even the dog leaves the room

J/K
Gas here in DFW is "Potty mouth" right now with the summer blend in most all stations.
My 07 has a T-max and it can't even keep up with the offsets needed to keep it running right. I am writing learned offset right now and moving the stop step auto adjustment all the way to 20 from 14 hoping it will keep up.
My truck is getting "Potty mouth" mileage too. I filled up east of Durant OK in Atoka and drove home to Ft Worth then to work all the next week and finally had to fill up the next weekend. That was some good gas up there in OK. I get about 3.5mpg less in my truck on DFW bought gas.
Doesn't matter what station I fill up at.
Of course there is always VP fuels like C12, C10, U4.4, SB100, MS103 and MS109 for $8-10 bucks a gallon.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

2Cruisin

Quote from: Desperado on May 28, 2010, 07:27:17 AM
This is as good as an oil thread - everybody will have an opinion and different results. 

Actually it's better, Maybe I missed it, but I also believe there are situations with those who are not up to par or honest about what their selling...
Just had an incident this past weekend in Northern Wisconsin. Had filled up at a Shell... Light did not come on until the 200 mile mark on my 04 BB95 Ultra... Next fill was from a Kwiq Trip station,,, 5 minutes out my bike was running a bit off, knocking a bit and had noticeably less power. Well I ran that out completely, because there was not a better option in the middle of a 5 hour trip, and as it turned out sooner then normal, the light came on at 150 miles... Filled up at a Mobil...the bike cleared up and things are back to normal..
It was like I put 87 octane in there...and yes I always do a double check before filling which selection is made.
I too prefer Shell or BP, but it all depends on what's available at whatever exit...

Had a similar experience years back with a street/strip car I had. Put 10 gallons in, and shortly after driving away, the car ran like it was missing, would diesel when I shut it off, etc... ran that garbage out, filled up at a BP, and bam, problem resolved.

hotroadking

Vehicle Weight
Driver Weight
Ambient Temperatures of fuel when pumped
Driving/Riding Temperatures
Amount of fuel "really" used and put back in
Driving style and speeds
Wind
Traffic Patterns

All combine to give you different readings, JMO only valid analysis would be
multiple tests of fuel bought over many days, same travel with same temps
going the same distance at the same time of day.

Pretty near impossible to do...

Ken R

May 28, 2010, 11:52:24 AM #14 Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:42:00 PM by Ken R
Quote from: hotroadking on May 28, 2010, 11:18:18 AM
Vehicle Weight
Driver Weight
Ambient Temperatures of fuel when pumped
Driving/Riding Temperatures
Amount of fuel "really" used and put back in
Driving style and speeds
Wind
Traffic Patterns

All combine to give you different readings, JMO only valid analysis would be
multiple tests of fuel bought over many days, same travel with same temps
going the same distance at the same time of day.

Pretty near impossible to do...

Remember, Steve.  I'm not trying to determine my actual miles per gallon.  There are so many variables, the most significant is filling to the exact same "tankfull" each time.  A cup of gas more or less will make a percieved 3 mpg difference.  My goal is to see if there is a difference between brands and that will take many fill-ups on trips and a bit of jotting down results. 

Over the course of motorcycle ownership, I'm thinking that trends do develop; and if the trend is towards Shell versus Valero, I'll gravitate towards Shell if given a choice.  So far, I've been leaning towards Shell from my anectodal results, but have never really put a pencil to it.

Someone mentioned city fuel versus highway fuel.  Hadn't thought of that.  One of the long articles above mentioned that reformulated fuel was tested and gives 2 - 3 percent poorer performance.  That's about 1 mpg or 5-6 miles per tank.  Could be the difference in making it to the next stop . . . . or not. :teeth:   

starrider

May 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM #15 Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:58:26 AM by Starrider
Here's what i do when i have to smog my old truck...changed the oil and filter of course...then fill it up with shell (premium)...why shell...imo...the gas burns a bit hotter than what i usually use and of course run the engine for a 20-30 minutes before i pull into the smog station...02  :missed:

smittyon66

Quote from: Desperado on May 28, 2010, 07:27:17 AM

I can say that I ride out of Dallas as well.  I keep record of every tank of gas that goes into my bike or cars - have all my life.  I can tell you that when I get out of the metropolitan counties that require the "anti-polution" gas, my mileage always goes up.

Quote from: blkmtrckl on May 28, 2010, 08:32:42 AM
Gas here in DFW is "Potty mouth" right now with the summer blend in most all stations....
... I get about 3.5mpg less in my truck on DFW bought gas.
Doesn't matter what station I fill up at....

I'm close enough to Chicago to have to put up with that reformulated crap too. Doesn't really matter what brand, if I fill up while I'm 40 miles south or west of here, I'll pick up about 3 - 4 mpg in either my bike or truck.

As far as brand, I'll let the wife pick where to stop. She always wants to stop at the ones with the cleanest restrooms....
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Desperado

Okay, now let's raise the ante a little bit.  There seems to be an agreement that Shell and Chevron is preferred by several of us because it does seem to give a little better gas mileage - although I did get a really bad tank of gas from a Chevron station in town a few months back.  It was in an area that I suspect didn't sell much 93 octane so who knows how old the gas was (10% ethanol).

But back to the question.  Yes Shell, Chevron, and Texaco all give me better mileage, BUT around here at least, Shell, Chevron, and Texaco are also usually higher in price than some of the other brands. (Admittedly that's not always true.)

So my question is not which gives the best mileage, but which is the cheapest per mile to use?  Seldom is the question whether or not I can make it to the next fill-up, so getting "a little bit better" mileage is really a moot point.  The real question is am I better off burning a cheaper gas as long as it still runs well even though it doesn't give me the best mileage?  Is the cheaper, but lower mileage gas the "best" gas to use on a "per mile" basis?  I'm assuming a good quality gas that is still "cleaning" the engine as it burns, doesn't ping , etc, like some of the other names mentioned in this thread.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just  :potstir:

boooby1744

There ia a reason some brands cost more.....
www.toptiergas.com   

ripp13

Custom 1986 FXR Lowrider

customrdr

May 29, 2010, 08:35:09 AM #20 Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:13:06 AM by customrdr
 I live in Arlington Wa. and it might be just me,but when a high pressure front moves in , which is nice rideing weather, it seem like my bike runs better, a low pressure front usually brings clouds and rain. I have a lopy cam and seems to have a better lop on high pressure front days. And just seems to run better and get alittle better gas mileage. :nix:
2001 FLSTC
103CI  121HP-124TQ 10.8:1
BHP PROSTREET HEADS 91.8cc WOODS 9BG CAM

Ken R

HA! 
Couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the thread and saw that I misspelled Gasoline.  :scratch: :bf:

I corrected my mistakes.   :idea:

09WGULTRA

I quit worrying about mileage a long time ago. When the gauge drops around 1/4 I look for a gas station and fill with mid grade and enjoy the ride until I need to stop again.  :bike:

Phu Cat

The proper way to check gas milage is not on a 'per tank basis', but keeping track of fuel used over ten fill-ups and then dividing that into the total miles driven.  Trying to check gas milage over one tank fulls does not allow for all the above variables.

If one company consistently produced better gas milage better, we'd have known about it long before now.  But that's not likely to happen due to gasoline having to fall within specific "boiling point" ranges to be labeled as gasoline.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

glens

Quote from: Desperado on May 28, 2010, 03:47:36 PMThe real question is am I better off burning a cheaper gas as long as it still runs well even though it doesn't give me the best mileage?  Is the cheaper, but lower mileage gas the "best" gas to use on a "per mile" basis?  I'm assuming a good quality gas that is still "cleaning" the engine as it burns, doesn't ping , etc, like some of the other names mentioned in this thread.
I concur.  This is a good consideration to make.  I know the EPA papers say about 3% degradation in mileage/power with E10, but it's been my experience (I keep track of mileage over each and every tankful in everything) that figure is more like 6%.

If E10 is available for 2.59 and "straight" gasoline is across the street for 2.79, it'd be money ahead to get the E10 (in my experience).  2.77 would be a wash.  Usually there's no difference in the price so I shun the corn gas as a rule, given the choice, since it's then about 6% stupider with my money to by the brewed corn, before the extra wear and tear just to get the same work done.

Another factor might be how tightly-strung your engine is, and whether it's closed-loop or not if EFI.  Because E10 has a stoich AFR of ~14.1:1 vs. 14.7:1 for "straight" gas, so if you've tune an open-loop EFI bike right to the ragged edge on "straight" gas and run E10, you might be pushing over the edge.  A closed-loop system will pick up on this fuel change.  A carb falls somewhere 'twixt 'em, I suppose.

Ken R

Quote from: Phu Cat on May 30, 2010, 10:12:54 AM
The proper way to check gas milage is not on a 'per tank basis', but keeping track of fuel used over ten fill-ups and then dividing that into the total miles driven.  Trying to check gas milage over one tank fulls does not allow for all the above variables.

If one company consistently produced better gas milage better, we'd have known about it long before now.  But that's not likely to happen due to gasoline having to fall within specific "boiling point" ranges to be labeled as gasoline.

PC

Yeah, but I'm beginning to believe that all companys' fuels are not equal.  Even here, we seem to be leaning towards Shell and maybe Fina.  And there may be some that are decidedly not as good. 
I'll have 8 or 9 fill-ups on my trip in a couple of weeks.  It'll be interesting.  I'm sure we'll try several brands. 

Worrying about fuel efficiency?  Nope.  Quit doing that when I fixed the problem that was causing 30 to 33 mpg consistently.  Now, it's just fun . . . . something to think about and play with.

runamuck

more .02 .. I try to use Valero over shell because they are from san antonio on my 09 bagger I'm getting around 40 on the highway..fully loaded with wife and gear..

Baggerlady

After my trip to Salt Lake, my best tank was 43 mpg, and the worst was 37. The two worst tanks were from Sinclair stations, but I did have some headwinds. That was from the Salt Flats to Winnemucca.  The best mileage I ever got on the SEEG was 47 mpg from Carson City, to Bishop. I figure I average about 40 or 41 with it. My mileage did improve after taking the lowers off the bike. It also runs cooler too, less pinging. :rose:

SoldierOftheCross

I heard on the radio the other day that the same truck's you see going to the conveinance stores unloading gas will also unload at the shell, chevron, and other name brand stations. It is some sort of exchange agreement they have. The jest of the story was folks think they are getting specially formulated fuel, but instead they are getting the same stuff you will find at the mom and pop stations. I am not sure if I believe it, but it was an interesting report.
Loud Pipes Saves Lives
Jesus Saves Souls

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: dunbarton on May 28, 2010, 02:28:35 AM
I suspect the conditions rather than the fuel itself will affect mpg most although I understand the greater the % ethanol, the lower the mpg.
I don't use an octane higher than necessary because it doesn't make the bike perform better or deliver better mileage. So far under average conditions regular gas (87 octane) works fine in my bike. In extreme conditions (ie  mountains, strong headwinds, high speed, extreme temperature, poorer quality gas) I may have to shift to mid-grade to avoid pinging/detonation etc.
I'm setting out on a 4K mile adventure next week through the central U.S. so I'll be watching my economy too. This will be my first trek since converting the bike from FI to carb so that should be interesting.

My fuel mileage has been equal to if not better since converting to the carb, and I'm still tinkering with the carb, I'm going down a little on the pilot jet so it might get slightly better. Last couple tanks were 44 riding respectfully. 97 FLHTCU-I, drop the I :bike:

Ken R

Quote from: SoldierOftheCross on June 06, 2010, 10:55:47 PM
I heard on the radio the other day that the same truck's you see going to the conveinance stores unloading gas will also unload at the shell, chevron, and other name brand stations. It is some sort of exchange agreement they have. The jest of the story was folks think they are getting specially formulated fuel, but instead they are getting the same stuff you will find at the mom and pop stations. I am not sure if I believe it, but it was an interesting report.

I've heard that before, too.  But I usually only see branded trucks (Shell, Exxon, Vickers, etc) at only their respective gas stations around here.   Independents don't exist like they did in the 60's and 70's.

One source I found said that there are 149 active refineries in the USA.  Exxon appears to have the largest capacity.  There hasn't been a new refinery built here since 1976. 

wavlovr1

Very interesting. Many seem to prefer Shell. My 11:1 95 hates Shell. In fact, it is the only brand I refuse to use (and the 24 hour mart gas). Many times on the road I have gotten bad spark knock and even bad idle/performance and it has always been when I had no gas option other than shell. My best performance and mpg is always with Exon.

Like many have said, I think a lot of issues effect mpg on the road. Gas blend differences state to state, uphill or downhill, altitude, wind force and direction. Heck, I drop one mPG just by putting on the tourpak, and tire air pressure is a big factor as well...

jb

SoonerSoftail

I used to work for Kerr-McGee. Back when they existed. They were an energy company and owned a handful of refineries. Unless things have changed all the gasoline in a given area probably came from one refinery no matter if the truck delivering it to stations is a branded (Exxon, Shell, etc.) or a private truck that hits all the c-stores and such. I used to have to go to to the K-M refinery in Wynnewood, OK for training. By that time K-M had got out of retail sales. The K-M refinery would have private trucks, CONOCO trucks, Shell trucks, etc. all pull under the same loading rig and fill up with the same gasoline. So the base gas was all the same in all the trucks. The different brands do add packages of additives that make each different as they're put into the storage tanks at the stations The base gasoline however is probably the same at your station as every other station in the area.

Ken R

I wonder how Shell adds Nitrogen to their gasoline.  Is it a scam . . . like Nitrogen instead of air in tires?  Or do they even really do anything different. 

Sonny S.

Speaking of Shell :
I've been doing some AFR testing and found that Shell runs the leanest of those I have tried. Others ran were Sunoco and BP, and both were richer than Shell
So that might be why some bikes hate it, and that's also why you getter better MPG with Shell. Nitrogen entrained in the fuel....there you have it !!

As for various trucks at the refineries. From what I have been told, the base gasoline might come from " X " refinery, but various additives are added in the tanker before it gets filled. 2 trucks might have Exxon gasoline in them but the truck going to an actual Exxon station will have better additives than the truck going to a low cost/no name station.

DynaPat

During the off season, I drive a bone stock, 2004 Ford Ranger 4x4. It gets crappy mileage and I know it, and don't care. I usually fill up once a week with plenty to spare come Saturday morning for errands and whatnot. I fill it on whatever weekend day I'm out and about.

Last year, I was in a part of town I don't normally frequent and filled up at some brand of station I never used before. (Xtra?) Thursday evening on the way home I discovered I had a low fuel light. WTF? Just not paying attention to the gauge. Filled up with Mobil or Exxon, good for a week+. Just for giggles I went back to the XTRA station a couple weeks later and filled up, and the following Thursday the needle was kissing the "E" end of the scale. I went from being able to commute 6 days on a tank to barely making 4 days with that crap, whatever it was.  :wtf:

It was not E85, I went back to check to make sure it wasn't a HUA problem.

mp

Yes, a fuel mixture of 10% ethanol will decrease your mileage up to 10%, especially if you live in a humid climate, since ethanol absorbs water, and water doesn't burn.  Using higher octane than you need will also hurt fuel mileage and performance, since higher octane requires more compression to burn completely.  High speeds, headwinds, crosswinds and low pressure will also reduce your fuel mileage
I personally use 87 octane, as my bike has 8.5 to 1 compression, and I have never noticed any difference in fuel mileage from different brands in eighteen years and 150,000+ miles.  I do note my fuel mileage at every fill as it's as good a way as any to monitor how your bike is running.

texaskatfish

Actually interesting - I've not peeked in here since it was 3 or 4 posts long.
I'm partial to Valero & Shell
next tier'd be Texaco & Chevron

And measures be darned I do believe I can feel the differences..........is it psychosomatic?  (ya gotta be crazy to love a good ride eh?heheheheh)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

EL-AL

If gas is sold like oil.....I remember about 25 years ago, I purchased a case (24qts. back then) of 10w-40 Valvoline Oil from the local Auto Supply. I opened it that day and found 1 quart of Harley Davidson oil in it! Yes ... It was a sealed case!
Nothing surprises me anymore!
XXX

adlerx

June 09, 2010, 09:20:27 AM #39 Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:24:45 AM by adlerx
Better than an oil thread! I gotta post up here!  I am one of those freaks who has an automatic math brain so naturally, I always know exactly what my milage is for every fill-up car or bike. For me, bike is hard to say I notice any difference since I only use Shell or 76 plus the way I use the throttle like an of on switch isn't really condusive for uniform milage comparisons(I generally get about 32).
My cage is a different story. I use to fill up where it was cheap. Arco is always the cheapest around here, sometimes a dime less than the big 3(shell/chevron/76). But since the milage on my rig, a Tahoe with a v8, stays really steady within a couple of tenths, I really notice a big change. I started to notice that when I filled up with the Arco, I was getting almost 2 miles a gallon less.
This is a lot in a vehicle that gets 15 miles a gallon and gas is $3 a gallon.
That's 20 cents a mile, so my cheap gas was in the end costing me quite a bit.
20 gallon fill up, save $2.
Run 300 miles.
Buy the more expensive gas.
Spend the extra $2.
Drive 340 miles at aprox 20 cents per mile.
Difference, $8.
Actual cost to run the cheap gas about an aditional $6 a tankful.
That's a six pak of Coronas!
Actual $ numbers slightly lower(six pak of bud) but used these because they are pertty darn close and it makes the math easy for everyone to follow
Did this over several tankfuls of both and don't buy the cheap stuff any more even though I really like the fact that ARCO does not use any mid east oil.

Don't get me started on the 10% ethanol, that's like another oil thread!
I use redline syn BTW  :smilep:

MaxxV4

:agree:
I just drove from San Diego to Northwoods of Wisconsin in my 2000 Silverado. I usually use midgrade 89 octane and average around 18.5 mpg on a cross country trip. This time, I decided to try premium 91/92 octane to see if there was a difference. This trip, I averaged right at 20 mpg for the 2100 miles. I think that the premium has less of the ethanol in it and gets the better mileage. I will avoid ethanol whenever I can.
Just my .02.
Mike

SHEEPDAWG

this is crazy but true..I get the best from a Sunoco station in a certain town only*..its constant.
Bike or truck.

Oak Harbor,Ohio is the place. ( no I dont live there)
Biker-up!

speed limit

B.P. 93 octane work`s  best for me but I wont buy anymore until they do right by U.S.A
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

glens

Quote from: Sonny S. on June 08, 2010, 09:33:10 AM
Speaking of Shell :
I've been doing some AFR testing and found that Shell runs the leanest of those I have tried.
This isn't necessarily exactly pertinent to Shell (I don't know) and it isn't exacting science either.  But if you take one part ethanol which has a 9:1 AFR stoich point and mix it with nine parts gasoline with 14.7:1 AFR stoich point, you'll end up with ~14.1:1 AFR stoich point.  If you have open-loop EFI or a carb, set to deliver stoichiometric burn at cruise, you'll be providing 14.6:1 fuel which is fairly lean with a fuel that completely burns at 14.1:1, probably down a little on power compared to gasoline because of that.  So in your informal testing you've determined that Shell is the most adulterated fuel.  It may have a stoich point even richer than (just) ethanol mix.

I suppose that's good business.  You get to wear a green cap, tout your fantabulous additives, and your repeat customers will spend more with you over time than they would elsewhere 'cause it takes more of your fuel to do the same amount of work.  But their injectors will be clean (and probably the piston crowns and the valves).  That's maybe worth something in the long run.

If you have closed-loop EFI, you'll simply burn more fuel since it'll work its way to 14.1:1 AFR.

Then there's the thermal energy difference, with ethanol being a little bit down on that compared to gasoline.  So on top of the greater closed-loop fuel quantity you're producing less (good) heat to drive the pistons with.

I shun corn gas like The Plague.

QuoteAs for various trucks at the refineries. From what I have been told, the base gasoline might come from " X " refinery, but various additives are added in the tanker before it gets filled.
This jibes with what I've "heard" too.

How well-mixed would a solution be if 500 gallons of ethanol were poured in on top of 4500 gallons of gasoline, then driven a couple miles and dumped into a station tank?

Sonny S.

Glens,

I was using a WEGO III on a carbed bike. I do know that best MPG for my bike and truck comes from Shell. My neighbor is a MPG freak ( no Mayor is not my neighbor ) and he says the same thing. Shell gives him best MPG......maybe it's just in my state ?  IDK  :nix:

wavlovr1

I put 12.2 gals in one 5 gal and one 6 gal container. I did not overfill, but filled right to the line (have measured them before at exactly 5 and 6 gals).

What this tells me is that the meter measuring the gas was not all that accurate. On a 5 gal tank, that could have a major impact on percieved MPG...
:potstir:
You may just be getting screwed at the pump. Not just by quality but also quantity....
jimbob

Ken R

Quote from: wavlovr1 on June 10, 2010, 03:47:54 PM
I put 12.2 gals in one 5 gal and one 6 gal container. I did not overfill, but filled right to the line (have measured them before at exactly 5 and 6 gals).

What this tells me is that the meter measuring the gas was not all that accurate. On a 5 gal tank, that could have a major impact on percieved MPG...
You may just be getting screwed at the pump. Not just by quality but also quantity....
jimbob

A few years ago, I actually called the Texas authority and complained that I was able to put 24.7 gallons into a 23 gallon tank.  (something like that).  They actually came out and tested the pump.  The guy used graduated beakers.  The pump was spot on.  He tested all of the pumps at that particular station and they were all spot on.  New stickers on all. 

Since then, I pretty much figured that the pumps were probably fairly accurate.  They spot check and the retailer never knows when they'll be by to test.   

Now, I don't have a clue how the pumps compensate for fuel temperature.  Understand that it can be significant. 

Ken

glens

I chatted-up a tester while he was working the other day.  He said that in his 5-gallon container up to 6 c.i. deviation was a "pass".  That's 0.5%.  I asked him if he could put little inconspicuous markings on the pumps which passed "high".  He pondered it for a moment and smiled, saying he couldn't do that.

I asked him about setting all the pumps in a station to just pass "low" and he said if that was the case he could fail them all.

dunbarton

Quote from: Ken R on June 10, 2010, 06:01:40 PM
Quote from: wavlovr1 on June 10, 2010, 03:47:54 PM

jimbob

A few years ago, I actually called the Texas authority and complained that I was able to put 24.7 gallons into a 23 gallon tank.  (something like that).  They actually came out and tested the pump.  The guy used graduated beakers.  The pump was spot on.  He tested all of the pumps at that particular station and they were all spot on.  New stickers on all. 

Since then, I pretty much figured that the pumps were probably fairly accurate.  They spot check and the retailer never knows when they'll be by to test.   

Now, I don't have a clue how the pumps compensate for fuel temperature.  Understand that it can be significant. 

Ken
FWIW, the tanks on our bikes have a larger capacity than the published figures too. I assumed my tank held close to the published 5 U.S. gal but it is actually about 5.75 (by accurate measure) when filled to the top of the filler neck. The filler neck extends a fair distance down into the tank and the 5 gal mark is @ the bottom of the neck. I expect they design a safety margin for expansion of the gas.

mayor

Quote from: Sonny S. on June 10, 2010, 07:03:53 AM
I do know that best MPG for my bike and truck comes from Shell. My neighbor is a MPG freak ( no Mayor is not my neighbor ) and he says the same thing. Shell gives him best MPG......maybe it's just in my state ?  IDK  :nix:
yea, I did hear somehwere that that mayor fellow is an mpg freak too.   :embarrassed: All of my areas BP's are becoming Shells, so I'll try and test your theory across the M&D line.   :wink:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

kforce

I NEVER run Shell gas. That crap makes my bike run like crap. I strictly use Chevron High Octane 92. My bike runs great and I get 42mpg every time. HD's are the best bike out there so why not give it the best to drink?

Sonny S.

>>>HD's are the best bike out there so why not give it the best to drink?<<<

am I allowed to say.....no they aren't.....on this forum ?

wavlovr1

Quote from: Sonny S. on June 13, 2010, 01:41:26 PM
>>>HD's are the best bike out there so why not give it the best to drink?<<<

am I allowed to say.....no they aren't.....on this forum ?

LOL, depends on what your definition of best is?

I have noticed that friends with minor mods do seem to swear by Shell... On the other hand, my friends with extreme mods mostly hate shell and report it runs like crap... My 11:1 would rather drink Jack Danials than Shell....
:hyst:

Sonny S.

>>>LOL, depends on what your definition of best is?<<<

exactly !!  lol

SHEEPDAWG

My vote is NO, You're NOT allowed to say that Sonny...lmao!
Biker-up!