April 27, 2024, 02:29:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

whats the secret to fit o-rings with rubberbands on manifold

Started by bigmic, December 10, 2008, 01:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmic

i got the o-ring manifold to match the o-ring heads only problem is what is the secret to put the o-rings and rubber bands on at the same time cause im goin this way to try and stop the air leak through the rubbers.i have been told this is the way to go.just out of curiosity when you run the o-rings on there own do you just put the clamp over the o-ring if so wouldnt the clamp rub on the metal on the heads and the manifold

Old Crow

I've never run both the o rings and the bands at the same time, but when you run the o rings only, the clamp will tighten down on the manifold and the head, kinda squeezing the o ring into place and holding the whole thing together. 
Don't forget a support bracket for the carb/air cleaner assembly, it'll fall off if you don't(believe me on this :embarrassed:).  Most people use a bracket from the rocker box to the air cleaner, but S&S has a nice one that comes off the bottom case bolt between the cylinders and goes to the bottom carb bolt.  I like that one because my wife's Sporty had one and it never broke in the 15 years she rode that bike.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

dsvracer

Using the o-rings and the flat rubber seals is "NOT A GOOD IDEA".  It's a pain in the butt to do and usually doesn't work that well. If you want to upgrade the manifold seals to the later ones, which are easier to install, They make a plastic piece that fits onto the o-ring land on the head and on the manifold. This makes the manifold seals contact along both the manifold and the heads for a perfect seal and no leaks, and they are very easy to install. Ask your local indy about these. If he can't get them for you I can.  any questions please use my personnel e-mail.  n2ofaster@charter.net

76shuvlinoff

O rings and a layer or Teflon pipe tape or electrical tape will usually work just fine if the heads are aligned to the manifold and you use a carb support.  Over tightening of the rubbers can cause the very leak you're trying to fix too.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

mite5255

i nrun both and it solved my intake leak problems.....can be a bitch to get together but for me it works just fine

randallwhitman

Seems like I've had the heads off my 103 a million times.  Here's what I do.  Use the regular o rings and the aircraft style clamps.  Use "hylomar", a gooey blue/purple grease in a tube, made for sealing flexible parts.....it's made by Permatex, at your local auto parts store.  Slobber the stuff all over the o rings and put the o rings on the manifold.  Then slobber the stuff all over the head flanges.  If in doubt, make it disgusting with the junk....it can be removed after assembly with brake cleaner.  Then, when you push the manifold toward the heads, this slippery goo will allow the manifold to literally "pop" into place.  Then be really careful when you start tightening the clamps so you don't knock the manifold out of place.  Have fun and good luck!  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Mule

It is pretty straight forward, a big pain. I slip the bands on the head ,then a VERY small amount of silicone grease on the O rings, I push them into place inside the bands. Again a small amount of silicone grease on the manifold, then slip one side in , and part way on the other side,as this is all it will allow. Then I use a small Dull screwdriver to work the band on to the manifold on the side is only part way on. You have to get a feel for it ,look inside the manifold ,you can tell if it is seated.  Then I use STOCK manifold clamps and be careful not to over tighten. I use the S&S style manifold support from the center case bolt, to the manifold. This worked on my wife's Shovelhead that always developed a leak over time. I tried the plastic spacers for the O ring manifolds and didn't have any luck with them, Had to buy a whole bag of them.  Take your time and you will get it done...Good Luck!...Mule...