May 01, 2024, 08:40:44 PM

News:

new cam, new lifters, new rattle

Started by -JC-1, May 29, 2010, 08:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-JC-1

124 S&S Baisley street port on heads, harley cam plate, harley pump, sns 640 cams, b lifters, sns pushrods, 11.2 compression, 200 cranking- motor very quiet, when hot minimal valve train noise- very acceptable.

changed to woods lifters and tman 650 cams a couple of days ago, valve clatter at idle, very noisy when warmed up, especially when hot.

readjusted pushrods last nite, 4 turns from zero lash, no change-

readjusted pushrods again this morn, again no change-

thinking about backing off 1/2 turn, any thoughts?

tia

joe
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

jam65

I measured to .130 down.9b cam.Still have noise but am pretty much done chasing after it.

-JC-1

I'm cooling it down- I'll try measuring to .130 instead of counting turns

itsafatboy

Ramps are more like the woods 9fg also has a higher tdc lift on intake you sure you don't have valve to piston issue

JAFHR

I have the Woods 9B with the new woods lifters and yes they are loud. Don't hear too much at idle, but between 2000 and 2500 it really clatters. I was told that this is due to ramps. I even have the roller rockers on it. It certainly gets louder as I crack the throttle. After 2500 it quiets down, and at cruise I don't hear it at all.
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

se

when Baisley originally did the heads what cam did he set them set them up for the 9b ???
if so you hear the springs and valves.
the 650 is similar to the 9f. not exactly the same they are similar so is the 640 s&s cam they are all in the 6 something lift neigherhood
you have a 650 lift cam its going to b a bit noisey. its still not as noisy as the 9b i ran that cam and just from the sound of it i could tell you what rpm the bike was at. the 650 might be a little softer (not much) down low but it will blow the woods out of the park in the mid range and upper rpm.
imo i think its a better cam then the 9b and 9f as you dont have to pile the compression on to get it to work.
just my opinion
my next cam will be a little higher lift and im going to buy a pipe to modify.
you have one of the best sets of heads on your bike in the industry. an Baisley is one of the best Head porters in the world..very few even compare to his work.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

-JC-1

Baisley did these heads a couple of years ago, and he set them up for the sns 640, I have convinced myself it is a valve to piston issue- the 650 has intake lift of .235 and the 640 is .228, so far I've pulled the rockers and the cam plate. will do some more later.

I agree with you about the quality of Baisleys work, these are the second set he has done, I'm very satisfied-

I'm more than a little pissed at myself tho  :banghead:

se

specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

-JC-1

pulled the woods lifters, tman 650 cams, installed b lifters, and 615/585 cams that I had out of my 117 motor- they were already in a cam plate - went .150 deep on the pushrods.
fired right up- nice and quiet-
rode for 30 minutes, still good.
I think I was just kissing the valve before,It didnt sound like normal valve train noise to me, I'm going to reinstall to 650's and clay the heads next- maybe check valve seat pressure?  next weekend. tomorrow i'm riding.

I've got no doubt the wood lifter and tman combo will work great, I've just got to take more time to set it up properly-
just a rook learning from my mistakes-   :embarrassed:

skyhook

if it runs, dont touch it til the cows come home
always seem to get their azz wet?

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: -JC-1 on May 30, 2010, 07:12:55 PM
pulled the woods lifters, tman 650 cams, installed b lifters, and 615/585 cams that I had out of my 117 motor- they were already in a cam plate - went .150 deep on the pushrods.
fired right up- nice and quiet-
rode for 30 minutes, still good.
I think I was just kissing the valve before,It didnt sound like normal valve train noise to me, I'm going to reinstall to 650's and clay the heads next- maybe check valve seat pressure?  next weekend. tomorrow i'm riding.

I've got no doubt the wood lifter and tman combo will work great, I've just got to take more time to set it up properly-
just a rook learning from my mistakes-   :embarrassed:

We always go .140-.150" into the lifter here.
Seems to quiet them up pretty good. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

blackhillsken

June 02, 2010, 05:31:45 AM #11 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:48:06 AM by blackhillsken
I've got similar results (noise) with the Wood lifters.  Slight ticking at idle, pretty good clatter at 2000 and then again at 2500.  Using new Mackie 510 chain drive (always a typically quiet cam) with the hybrid Harley SE plate, new pump, and hydraulic tensioners.  No more than 150 lbs. closed spring pressure.
Going back to B lifters today.

-JC-1,
If you're not kissing the valves with the B lifters, you weren't with the Wood lifters either.  A hydraulic lifter will only deliver the lift the cam lobe gives.  You'll see that when you try the Wood lifters again.   :emsad:

Ooops, sorry, I just noticed you mentioned a lower lift cam test.
Ken

Admiral Akbar

Confucius say " parts that kiss at 2500, bend at 6500"... Max

-JC-1

I appreciate all the responses, I am a rookie motor head altho I have been riding for 45 years, thought it was about time i stepped up and did more of this stuff myself!

Called Dan Baisley Tues afternoon and he thought any piston to valve contact would be a longshot, had a good talk and as always knew more when i hung up than before-

I am going to reinstall the 650's with the b lifters and see where it takes me- I may take apart the woods lifters and clean them just to see if they are ok.

This whole process takes me about 8-9 hours so I tend to spread it over a weekend.

thanks again guys  :up:

joe