May 02, 2024, 02:08:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dorhety Power Vent leak.

Started by sandrooney, December 10, 2008, 04:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

My power vent's are seeping, at the top where they look like they are screwed togeather. It is not coming from where they attach to the heads. I have it vented to a catch tank. After 1,200 miles there was hardly enough in the catch tank to wipe out. Anybody else have this happen??
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Dennis The Menace

Not on mine.  I have had some oil coming from them at the bottom, but not the side.  Send an email or call Doherty and I am sure they will provide new ones at no cost.

I added the oil breather kit to mine just last week to catch the oil.  I removed the powervents and I was unable  to turn the halves on each one, so I presume they are either a press fit, or screwed together.  See if you can turn the halves together on one and if it tightens, it should cure it.  If a press fit, however, I would return to Doherty.

menace

sandrooney

Thanks menace. I already returned one set and these are also doing it.
Thanks,
SR

Faast Ed

Mine haven't leaked (yet). I am not an expert on these gadgets, but a little 'tidbit' sticks in my mind from the original install sheet.

It said something about them "needing to be cleaned" periodically. Think your issues might be related to clogging? Just a guess here.
≡Faast Ed>

Jeffd

mine get just a little weeping around the joint (only on the front one).  I don't get much but after a couple hundred miles I can wipe a little film of oil off.  I don't get any oil in my catch can either.  I figured the body was screwed to the top part but was not sure. Only the front one gets the seepage so I figured some day I would pull it off and try and tighten it without scratching it up.

sandrooney

Jeffd,
That's exactly what mine is doing, front one is seeping right at the seem.
Thanks,
SR

Low Glide

As FaaastEd posted,  they recommend cleaning in soapy water every 7500 miles or yearly.  Mine weep a little around the plastic washers.

Low

sandrooney

Thanks Low Glide, but they are new. I was thinking of cleaning it off real good and using some RV sealant.
Thanks again,
SR

Jeffd

mine do not leak around the plastic washer, but I did put a slight film of rvt on both sides of the washer.  I wish I knew for sure if the body was screwed on and if it is then it would be easy to unscrew it and put a some teflon on the threads or thread sealant to keep the weeping away. I am not sure if there are threads or it is a pressed fit.

sandrooney

It would be nice to know if it was screwed togeather or press fit.
Thanks,
SR