April 27, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing compensating sprocket and clutch

Started by PaJoe, November 02, 2008, 01:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaJoe

I have a 1 1 /2 inch impact socket for the compensating sprocket nut but can't find a socket for the clutch.

What sizes do I need and how much torque must the impact wrench produce? I tried using the  1 1/2 inch socket with my small 1/2 inch impact wrench and it doesn't budge it.  I don't want to buy anything  more than I need for this application. Once I know for sure what wrench I need I can then make sure I have the right air compressor to supply it.

thanks in advance

joe

Trip

November 02, 2008, 01:07:06 PM #1 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:09:41 PM by Trip
Most of us use an inexpensive electric impact...1/2 inch drive...remember, its a left hand thread....i couldnt tell ya how much air you,d need.  Inch and 3/16,s is the size...

Caper

On my '90 Evo the comp nut is torqued to 100ft-lbs, right hand thread and the clutch hub nut is 50 ft-lbs left hand thread. I think they raised to torque later on the clutch hub nut to 60ft-lbs.

hd6179

Don't forget,sometimes a torch can make the compensating nut come off with less effort

Trip

I go 165#s on the compensators and 80#s on the clutch...i use a rattle gun to REMOVE only...Red Loc-Tite sets real well to.

PaJoe

Thanks, after I learned how to make a stop block out of an old cutting board to keep everything from turning  I was able to break them loose with a 3 foot breaker bar - but I'll be stiff tomorrow.

dave_9113

November 04, 2008, 02:45:06 PM #6 Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:47:13 PM by dave_9113
Quote from: PaJoe on November 03, 2008, 01:22:44 PM
Thanks, after I learned how to make a stop block out of an old cutting board to keep everything from turning  I was able to break them loose with a 3 foot breaker bar - but I'll be stiff tomorrow.

Hey, next time make yourself a handy dandy Jam bar.  2" (wide) x 8 1/2"(long) steel stock.  Cover with your shop rag on the ends and put it between your sprockets and you can get those nuts off real easy like.  Oh and take it easy on the Red Loctite for the compensating sprocket. 

dave

roughrideu4now

Its not real advisable to use an impact on the comp nut, because the hammering force can possibly knock the crank assembly out of true and possibly break the weights off of the rotor maybe.

Trip

Ahhhhhhhhh ...no...its not advisable to TIGHTEN with an impact...removal is fine and is practiced in every shop i,ve ever been in....but do what you,re comfortable with...

Norton Commando

I've always used a folded shop towel wedged between the chain and sprocket to prevent rotation when removing the compensating sprocket nut. It works great and you don't have to search long or far to find one!
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Phu Cat

I've always used a folded shop towel wedged between the chain and sprocket

Uh oh.  That explains why Ma got so pissed cuz I used her silk panties.  Well ya just can't be too careful with those compensator nuts!

If ya use an impact, check for a lot of shavings afterward.  I'll bet I had to hammer that nut for a solid 5 minutes before it finally broke loose.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

96flstn

Just got done doing it to replace my stator on my 96 FLSTN. Took a 45 inch breaker bar and it was still bending when she finally broke loose. Used my old rubber coated hammer handle with a rag wrapped around it. The socket for the compensator is an inch and a half. First time it had been off since the factory put it on.
Easy job if you have the right tools and a manual.