May 01, 2024, 06:47:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

107 kits on 96"er's

Started by 09roadglideguy, December 10, 2008, 08:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

09roadglideguy

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has tried a 107 kit on their 96"er's?  I have a new roadglide comming and dealer wants to do a 103, OR a 110, I am not impressed with the 103 numbers, and the 110 is out of my $ range, I have done some minor checking and see two kits are out their, anyone try them? they are "bolt on" kits, which I like and cost under $1000.00  ALSO anyone like the new head pipe they have on the 09's?  I had a bassani road rage on my 06 and loved the sound and performance, but am hoping to keep the duals this time and maybe just a goo set of slip ons?

Don D

Let's talk about your feelings on the HD warranty, and likely loosing nationwide warranty (engine), before getting into an aftermarket parts discussion.

se

Dewey is correct.
but i have to ask why dont you like the e# on a 103????
with the right combonation of parts a 103 can be made to run.
before i would throw any serious power at a 103 or bigger there are certin things to consider the main being the crank it has to be checked for excessive run out.
dont do anything but ride it and the first i would do is but a TTS then an a/c  have it tuned get it running correctly first.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

Dennis The Menace

09roadglideguy

I have several buddys with pretty good 103's that my well tuned 95" 04 roadking would out run, Really tho just thought if I was going to do a bolt on 103, why not just go as big a you can with out getting into the case,  I do know all the pros and cons to motor work and all the tuner options, again this is not my first go around,  again I was more looking for feed back on a 107. I do appreicate the feed back tho...

Lamar07

103 great for 96ers you with a 04 rk Have to get in case any way 124" go big ya

FXDBI

Personally I would avoid the 110 it cant be reworked later to any diff size. The 103 can later be configured to a 107 or 113 or bigger with a crank change. From the way I understand it a 110 gets the case grooved for a o-ring making it impossible to machine it later for the bigger cylinders. You would get a better engine i believe by boring your existing cylinders and having pistons fitted than a off the shelf "ready to go cylinder"  Alot depends on what deweysheads says your concern for warranty from the dealer after.....Bob

GoFast.....

I am building a 107 right now and if you can go 107 with your cylinders why go 103. If your bike is on the 1 year warranty wait till it goes out of warranty a then bore it to 107.
I am building it with a 120hp goal
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

99embrey

just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't worry about the warranty.  I haven't seen to many harley techs I would want working on my bike around here. Dont want to make anyone mad, just my observations.

se

having the tecs work on them is not the problem.. the problem occurs when modified work is done and then something goes a stray. what if he has the bike and in 6 months hears a noise from the cam chest and needs a crank ?? i dont think the dealership or the moco will pay for that. The tuner is the first thing i would buy and then like it has been mentioned its up to you of course a hi-performance 103 or a good solid 107 will do justice. like you said you are no stranger and know what you want..

Lovetoride007

Tman is makeing some really good #s from the 103ci, ck his websight

GoFast.....

December 10, 2008, 08:32:35 PM #11 Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:34:44 PM by GoFast.....
How is this for good numbers out of a 95 let alone a 103.And he is poor on top of it

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=2070.0

FLTRI

Seems simple to me: Go 107 if you don't care about possible warranty issues, 103 if you do. :wink:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Hillside Motorcycle

Any dealer can manipulate almost anything to duck out from anything.
Wrong color air in the tires, handlebar fringe too long, fairy bell out of tune.
We have done 7, 107" drop-ons since May of this past year. No issues.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

Dealer bashing aside, the owner of any of these bikes need to get real with the warranty issues before diving in with any aftermarket parts. I did day one. My own 07 never even had a road test before I was working on the motor. I didn't care for the dealer kits, had a plan, and knew the ramifications. Have not looked back.

HD/Wrench

Agreed the warranty is balck and white,  the old debate about a dealer covering the bike under warranty is a hit or miss. Had a customer sell his HD over a warranty issue that had nothing to do with the engine mods.  The radio had issues they refused to fix it based on the engine upgrade?? By the way it had a delaer installed 103 kit and heads but the cam was not a SE cam. The dealer found the cam during a service, ( cam cover gasket leaking) they poped the cover to replace gasket without checking with customer. End of story at that point.

107 kits are a nice upgrade, price wise less than buying the SE 103 cylinders and pistons.

GoFast.....

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 11, 2008, 06:57:54 AM
Dealer bashing aside, the owner of any of these bikes need to get real with the warranty issues before diving in with any aftermarket parts. I did day one. My own 07 never even had a road test before I was working on the motor. I didn't care for the dealer kits, had a plan, and knew the ramifications. Have not looked back.
I did the same thing with a 06. Took the motor out with 0 miles on it and put it back in as a 114, but Don if they break we know how to fix them and some guys do not.

FLTRI

"I did the same thing with a 06. Took the motor out with 0 miles on it and put it back in as a 114, but Don if they break we know how to fix them and some guys do not."
:up: :up: :up:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

se

Basically what it comes down to is the dealer. if its a small item they usually have no problems if its a big item and they have to have the moco come look at it well......then there might be an issue. the dealer a few yrs back had no problem doing my rear rim and tire but it still cosy me come coin.
will never do that again i have found that with the extended warranty you can use any shop .

Don D

All good points.
The reason I harp on the dealer and warranty is the phone calls I field lately are a lot about making dealer builds a little better and warranty is the focus. If it wasn't for warranty the end users would just assume blow the dealer off and use aftermarket parts and indy shops. I am sure money is a consideration too as the work done at the time of sale is easily financed in the new bike sale.
It is frustrating for me because the reality is if the build is not on the SWR at the time of purchase, the engine warranty is just a hand shake with the parent dealer only. I loose patience with the dabbling approach but it is their money, I did what worked for me and others choose their approach.
Good news is there are some dealers that are performance suave and know what works and what doesn't plus they have the clout (substance, integrity, length of time in business) and customer service to put their money where their mouth is and they become the warranty agent with good results for the customer.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 11, 2008, 11:21:40 AM
All good points.
The reason I harp on the dealer and warranty is the phone calls I field lately are a lot about making dealer builds a little better and warranty is the focus. If it wasn't for warranty the end users would just assume blow the dealer off and use aftermarket parts and indy shops. I am sure money is a consideration too as the work done at the time of sale is easily financed in the new bike sale.
It is frustrating for me because the reality is if the build is not on the SWR at the time of purchase, the engine warranty is just a hand shake with the parent dealer only. I loose patience with the dabbling approach but it is their money, I did what worked for me and others choose their approach.
Good news is there are some dealers that are performance suave and know what works and what doesn't plus they have the clout (substance, integrity, length of time in business) and customer service to put their money where their mouth is and they become the warranty agent with good results for the customer.

well said, I can say that my amount of dealers that use and sell our product has grown 21% over last year. many dealers are getting wise to the fact that HD kits are not going to keep the customers happy. Plus they honor the warranty for the customer.