April 28, 2024, 08:34:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lowering the rear fender

Started by flht1550, December 10, 2008, 08:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

just looking for some options on the best way to lower the rear fender of my 4 speed swing arm FLH. I know i can always run short shocks but I don't want to have the chain eat up my inner primary and starter housing. I'm wondering if any of you may have redrilled the fender mounting holes and just lowered the fender in the struts. If so does anyone have pictures of what they have done and any feedback on weather it has any disadvantage in doing this. Thanks

pappyfreebird

cant member but think ony git 3/4-1'' lower ,but ive aways mounted fendars low as struts allow,,nevar had n issue

randallwhitman

You'd better mock it up as you modify, with some sort of spacer on top of the tire.  Otherwise, when you hit a big bump, your tire will rub the inside of the fender.  Probably a good idea to get out your calculator and figure out how much wheel travel is available.  randy :wink:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Speeding Big Twin

When I bought my Panhead it had a stock rear mudguard but now I run a 1970s FX guard, along with genuine 1974 H-D FX supports. I lowered the FX guard about 1-1/2" and moved it forward about 1/2" and you can see the hole in the guard where the forward bolt used to go. I sliced off the excess with a hacksaw, repositioned the numberplate bracket and taillight and cleaned it all up with a file. At one stage I ran an FX guard at stock height but with short shock absorbers and I had to remove the circuit breaker clips which were attached with pop rivets (the pop rivet is the archenemy of the tyre). So check all clearances.     Eric

randallwhitman

Speeding Big Twin......"mudguard"......is that Aussie for fender?    :hyst:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Speeding Big Twin

G'day, Randy. Yes, and it's an interesting point because Harley-Davidson used both words over the years and on the page below from my 1926--1939 catalog you'll notice that H-D used the words mudguards, fender strips and fender lamp all in the one sentence. The Legend Begins referred to a fender when describing the finish on the 1916 sidecar body and accompanying parts but when describing the sidecar finish for the 1914 body etc two words were used: mud guard. For 1920 and some later years The Legend referred to fenders when talking about the finish on all models yet my H-D catalog covering twins, Servi-Cars and sidecars for 1930--1940 included a reference to the Mudguard Group in its index. However, that same catalog also employed similar text to the page below, again using the words mudguards and fender in the one sentence. And just to add to the confusion my H-D catalog covering Big Twins and sidecars for 1937--1949 has the term Fender Group in its index. More recent H-D catalogs appear to prefer the word fender but here we've called it a mudguard for a long time.     Eric

pappyfreebird

sumbeeyuch!!! that explains when i came along fool n azzhole came inta terms..rekon i should be proud  :smiled:

8080REG

Hey SPEEDING BIG TWIN like the way you,ve hidden the rego label between the number plate and bracket.
  See you in March.

randallwhitman

It's a shame that the response to my mudguard comment wasn't more thorough.    :hyst:    Randy    Mr. Aussie......it actually looks like your fender is way up above your tire.  I have the exact same rear fender and it sits much lower over the tire, but I have 11" shocks.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Speeding Big Twin

Reg, good to hear from you and you've got mail. I used to carry my Panhead rego disc in my wallet and then for a long time I had it positioned behind the cut-out primary inspection cover below (the cover looks distorted in the photo). Then I thought up the idea you see above and I also have my Evo disc mounted the same way but I always get them laminated first as protection against the weather. When I had the original guard on my Evo I utilised one of the holes in the original numberplate bracket which is also shown below.

Randy, I'm not sure what it is about those guards. Previously I used one with a 1980s H-D Shovelhead frame but with a 1958-1972 swingarm and 13-1/2" shock absorbers and it looked odd. As I mentioned above I also ran one at stock height but with short shocks and the ride quality suffered. Since then I've used stock length shocks but with a cut-down mudguard.     Eric

verson22

I flipped my struts and changed them side to side.

pappyfreebird

flipped struts??? thats fuggan ingenutiy at its best,,,wheres the pix!..hadda run solo ony seat too heyhuh?

verson22

Yeah, Pappy that's what I ran anyway, but it tucked in real nice and moved back a smidge with the fender outta the way. I'm 6'2" so it gimme a few inchs of room.I'll see if I got a pic.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dablaze

Saw this one at Port Dover...

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

verson22

That's the way mine looks---- black , too!

pappyfreebird

now thats jus too fuggan easy ,,im ashamed (yet honest nuff) ta say i cant recall evo noticin one er fer sure nawt thinkin hey look,,oh well thats why im nawt rich n famous

76shuvlinoff

LOL pappy, it's the simple sh*t that'll get ya.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

December 20, 2008, 06:42:45 AM #18 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:45:27 AM by 76shuvlinoff

Ya know, I've been looking at pics of my bike this morning and reversing the struts to drop the fender would give me a little more room to slide the seat back. I like my Mustang wide solo for distance but it pushes me a touch forward. I'm not tall but a little more legroom and taking pressure off my tailbone certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.  :idea:

....however I think my big bags might get a little close to the pipe.
 - Ernest Hemingway