May 09, 2024, 03:41:57 PM

News:

84 Shovel Head FXE Upgrades

Started by Reddog74usa, June 01, 2010, 06:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Can anybody tell me what upgrades the 84 Shovel Head FXE's had. Valves, crank, cam, isolated primary, electrics etc.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbonner

Hardened valve seats.  Brakes, tires, carbs, the 84 had the late model clutch...  The clutch was probably the HUGEST change.  I hate clutches.

Rear brake in 84 was different.  The exhaust was different, the oil tank was different, but not so much you couldn't install late tank on older bikes.  They went to the cartridge oil filter in late 82...  The 84 was a transition year to the EVO, so there is a lot of evo like parts showing up on the bikes.

Watcha need to know for?

BOB
79 FXEF-80, 97 DSCC, 07 FLHT, 05 Chopper

Reddog74usa

Thanks, do you know if the primary was isolated? I'm thinkin it might be if the clutch is the later style. I have a friend of mine that is selling his and I'm thinkin of getting it and figured they may a bit different so I thought I would ask so I know what I'm gettin into. I like the hardened seats for shur.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbonner

June 02, 2010, 05:51:34 AM #3 Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:57:31 AM by rbonner
Not on the FXE shovels...  They weren't making changes like that, too much work.  It's just us hot rodders who came up with that isolation plan.   :teeth:  The FXR guys might have had changes like that.  BUt 1984 was an E84 and L84 year.

Sit and think what evil the Motor Company had up their sleeve at the time.  They had just overthrown AMF by purposely mismanaging the company, they were financed to the teeth, sales were mega-low and they had all new product financed by AMF to get out.  They say it was exciting around the company now in the history books; I'd say it was probably more like Kaos...

They had boxes to the ceiling through ording mismanagement of inventory, much of it still sits in Vintage parts.  They now have a system where parts show up just as they are needed on the manufacturing line.

So once the company was taken over, it was shoving out the old inventory in a lets get this junk out the door mode.  Those lucky last shovels at least had the new clutches.  The reason?  Probably because the new ones were cheaper to make.

If you do research in the parts books (I have done this as library reading material for the last 20 years; you become ONE with the parts and the toilet) for FX and FL you'll be able to actually see a lot of history in the making and see what evil they had up their sleeves.  This stuff wasn't for stying or reliability.  Magnavox a huge manufacturer, made the first electronic ignitions, but went out of business.

Things like the 78, 78 1/2, E79, L79 fiasco, 1980 a year that in many ways stands alone, and the 81-82-83-E84 changes as parts for various things ran out.  You might think it was upgrades.  NAW, it was mostly finding suppliers for the parts for the cheapest prices and modifying brackets and stuff so those parts would fit.

Sure you had Willie G getting coked up and designing new wierd models while on a buzz...  But almost all the changes for FX/E were to get cheaper parts.  My FXEF-80, a L79 product, except for the upper engine mounts, and stupid dealer support, was an OK motorcycle.

I'd have to say much of the companies survival was better dealer training.  In my opinion, it still could be better.

BOB

Reddog74usa

So are ya sayin that the later shovels lacked the quality of the older ones? Aside from the slab side Shovels which ones in your opinion are the better years and or models? I heard the later Shovels had steel cranks instead of cast as told to me by the dealer when I bought my 79 80 inch Low Rider and the hardened seats starting in 82 so I thought the later bikes were a bit better.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Old Crow

My '82 is just fine.  Then again it's been completely rebuilt at least twice since '82.  Hopefully I've got the bugs out this time.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

rbonner

June 03, 2010, 06:26:33 AM #6 Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 06:29:34 AM by rbonner
No RD that's not what I am saying.  Refering to your original post, what changes "improvements" were happening to the late shovels.  Basically NONE.

I went into the mentality surounding the era.  MASS CHEAPENING OF PARTS COST.  Now this doesn't mean cheap junk, this means looking for cheaper suppliers of parts.  Something auto companies are doing every day.  If you can save twenty-five cents on something that goes into the machine, you just increased profit.

The changes from 1971 to E1978 in the FX world was function, engineering enhancement and modernization.

The next era there was a lot of parts changes from 1978 1/2 to E1984 that are more changes in suppliers...  Lots of little crap that is more irritation for the swap meet collector not a lot of cosmetic or functional changes.  Then in L84 the MC entered the modern era with the EVO bikes and they were back in business creating and engineering again.

The best thing about an 84 bike is the clutch, other than that there isn't much changed except minor crap from the 78 1/2 bikes.  When you look at the sales numbers 1979 was a huge year for HD then a major crash until they were established again after the take over and the EVO's came out, then sales started to climb through the HARLEY PHENOM.

The big problem is the little parts changes from 78 1/2 - E84.  Each model year has its own little collection of changes and makes them all individuals, a real PIA.  And none of those changes effected the operation.

BOB

Reddog74usa

Thanks for the great info Bob.I picked up an 84 FXEF today. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. the bags n seat have already been handeled LOL!!!!  Like the minute I got it off the truck.

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbonner

Yeah RD already sent me the pics...  I feel honored.  He's picked himself up a nice ride...

BOB

Reddog74usa

June 03, 2010, 04:40:39 PM #9 Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:41:56 PM by Reddog74usa
Thanks Bob,  I found it interesting that it came through with an Evo points cover and evo brake calipers along with a spin on oil filter located under the trans

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

HotRodShovel

Real nice ride man. Best of luck.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbonner

Yeah that was the first thing I noticed, the EVO points cover...  Pop riveted on too...  Don't wreck that.

The spin on filter happened in 82.

The rear brake was an 83 addition also the remote master cylinder...

an E84 is watch all these parts get used up machine...  It would be interesting to see what month your bike was built in, as to how close to the end it was...

I will fall on my sword if it was something like the LAST SHOVEL BUILT....

Hey get up tomorrow morning and see if you can kick start it...  It has electronic ignition, but it will only start if it is active on first revolution.

BOB

HotRodShovel

June 04, 2010, 06:51:58 AM #13 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:54:25 AM by Rudy
Yeah Bob,  I noticed that V2 pop rivet cover myself. What is an Evo points cover doing on a Shovel..that is interesting. As you said, Bob, it has to be one of the last to roll off the line.

RD you should give the vin to someone here who can do some background work on it.  I think we would all be interested to find out its place.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

rbonner

Good Ole' FXEF, Fat Bob; Fat Tanks and Bobbed Fender.  One of the finest bikes built in the era.

OH, went for a couple rides around town yesterday had my FLHT out early to run errands, and then took the 09 FXDC (Dyna Custom) Superglide out for a Wash and Spin....

In all the bikes in the stable, that simple black and chrome Superglide is by a long shot my favorite bike in the barn.  I'll need to be on my last leg to see the 79 go away, but all the other bikes I could consider parting with, but the FXDC would be the one I would keep til last.  If any of you guys are considering a new bike, or even just looking to test ride for ride's sake...  Try an FXDC and compare it to your FXE's  You might just fall in love too.

BOB

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 02, 2010, 07:51:56 AM
So are ya sayin that the later shovels lacked the quality of the older ones? Aside from the slab side Shovels which ones in your opinion are the better years and or models? I heard the later Shovels had steel cranks instead of cast as told to me by the dealer when I bought my 79 80 inch Low Rider and the hardened seats starting in 82 so I thought the later bikes were a bit better.

Later shovels were just as good as the earlier ones. With a knowledgable owner, they are all good.

AFAIK, all of the Shovelheads had cast iron flywheels made from the Meehanite process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meehanite

Reddog74usa

Thanks Ultra, I guess the dealer that sold me my new 79 Lowrider was full a bull. Bob I'm with ya on the FXDC. I took an 07 for a test ride and was very close to buyin it but the dealer wouldn't budge on the price and it was very high. I was at the same dealer over a year later n they still have that bike LOL!!!!!. Is there any body that can tell where this FXEF is as far as when it was made?
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 04, 2010, 03:07:26 PM
Thanks Ultra, I guess the dealer that sold me my new 79 Lowrider was full a bull. Bob I'm with ya on the FXDC. I took an 07 for a test ride and was very close to buyin it but the dealer wouldn't budge on the price and it was very high. I was at the same dealer over a year later n they still have that bike LOL!!!!!. Is there any body that can tell where this FXEF is as far as when it was made?

If you have the FXS Four Speed manual, it tells all of the info about the year built from the VIN Number. I have one but it's buried in my office somewhere.

I'd bet that someone here knows how to tell the year on a Shovelhead VIN number.

Reddog74usa

I found a site that has the info needed to ID a Harley vin but it doesn't tell you when it that year it was produced. This bike was built in York and is a FXEF and is an 84 but I don't know when in the year it was built.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

76shuvlinoff

June 04, 2010, 05:59:26 PM #19 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:01:40 PM by 76shuvlinoff
Fatboy Sir Garfield posted this link on the General page recently. I have not tried it yet but here ya go.

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vinDecoder.asp

Now I see it does not work for pre-81 vehicles
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rbonner

Well pre 81 is easy...  Vin ending in H9 is a 79...  1980 is a J0, the B-C-D or E before the Y for york and the six digit Id number B=81, C=82, D=83, E=84...  Pretty simple stuff.

BUt what you need to do is get the INFO from historical department...  CALL HD with your serial number in hand...  Tell the guy after getting past the receptionist that you have a 1984 Shiovelhead and you'd like to know when it was actually made, etc...  Here's the serial.  They should be able to tell you.

BOB

Ultrashovel

June 04, 2010, 06:28:47 PM #21 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:31:35 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 04, 2010, 05:58:02 PM
I found a site that has the info needed to ID a Harley vin but it doesn't tell you when it that year it was produced. This bike was built in York and is a FXEF and is an 84 but I don't know when in the year it was built.

Well, since you know that it's a 1984, my best guess would be that it was built sometime later in 1983. In 1984, the MoCo was changing over to the Evolution and there weren't too awfully many Shovelheads built.

By the way, I just found my 1978-1/2 to 1984 Service Manual for FL/FX. It includes a section on the then new Evolution with pictures of the 1984 Evolution Softail, complete with kickstarter.

I found the page on the VIN Number for 1981 and later bikes. They don't show an FXEF but they do show an FXE.

The sample VIN that they show is:

Harley-Davidson Motorcycle =  1 HD 1
BA = FXE 80 c.i.
K or L = Engine Type.
1, 2, or 3 = Factory use.
1 through 9 = Factory Check Digit.
Model year B = 1981; C = 1982; D = 1983; E = 1984
Y ?
010000 = Sequential Number (serial number within that model)

So a typical 1984 FXE VIN might read:

1HD1BAK11EY010000

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

:smile:             

I have to say, I wish I could buy a new Shovelhead from Harley-Davidson. I sold my 1982 FXS a few years ago because it had some issues that annoyed me. If I could find a new one, I'd be a happy camper. They are an elegant bike.

My favorite of all of the Shovelhead models was the FXWG. It was the prototypical design for all of the later cruiser bikes with forward controls, wide big forks and 21" front wheel. It had all of the good features of the FX series.

Reddog74usa

June 04, 2010, 06:50:13 PM #22 Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 07:14:49 PM by Reddog74usa
I did the kick start test. Two twists on the throttle, lift the enrichner up all the way, ignition off two primer kicks, bring it up on the compression stroke, ignition on and holy thunder Batman she fires up on the first kick.  :teeth: Anybody have the number for H-D I can call to get the production date info on this bike? I believe the original owner said he bought it in Dec. of 83 so it may not be one of the very last.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Reddog74usa on June 04, 2010, 06:50:13 PM
Anybody have the number I can call to get the info on this bike?

What more do you need?.......See my VIN number info just above.

As I recall, the early FXE had the small round loaf of bread fuel tank and handlebar-mounted speedometer and tachometer. It was originally a 1200 cc (74"). The FXEF was an 80" FX with a set of Fat Bob tanks and a tank-mounted dash and speedometer. The 80" engine came out after 1978-1/2. It has the 4-1/4" stroke and a 3-1/2" bore.

If yours has an "E" 8 digits from the end of the VIN number, it was a 1984.

Happy Trails.

rbonner

I did some quick checking, NO FXEF after 81...  However it could be a low rider.  We need to know the CODES  1HD1 then two letters, what are the two letters?.