May 08, 2024, 01:14:25 AM

News:

91 sportster 1200 valve train noise!!!

Started by RayRay12, June 04, 2010, 09:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRay12

Hey guys, I'm new to this Forum. I have a 91 1200 that makes excessive valve train noise!! I read somewhere it could be the cam gears and pinion gear. It has 8000 miles on the clock. I may not be a certified mech. but i'm not a stranger to a wrench either. it just strikes me funny that that could be what's wrong with it. Anyone have this similiar problem??! or know what else it could be??
Thanks!!
RayRay in CT.
Run your fingers over my bike, I run my Bike over you!

andyxlh

Hello mate
if u search these archives you will find lots of questions similar to yours. The quad underhead cam system of the sportster is very prone to noise particularly if the cams have been uprated. This is rarely a problem. Listen for intermittent rattles or a banging sound. With such a low mileage I would have thought u should have no problems. Try the listening with the screwdriver trick at each pushrods and see what u hear. There will be a lot of scary rattles but u are looking for something different from one of them (bad lifter often) or whining (camgears too tight). Otherwise I'd just ride it and ignore it.... 
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

Panzer

Ray,
Andy is one of the masters of the sporty's and he tells you right.
I can't tell you what excessive is in your case but all the sporty's are prone to the noise you speak of, in my opinion.
To me it's moms sewing machine under and just front of the seat.
Save your $$$$ and just ride it.

Panzer......just saying!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

RayRay12

Thanks guys! It's a little more than just the sewin machine noise! I can deal with that. It's more like spark knock, or like the timing is out. I put my girl on the back and it gets worse. yeah, i no i no. get a skinnier girl. LOL
I'm gunna keeep at it! cam and Pinion gears when i can afford it but for now i'm a gunna ride it like that! Hopin it don't do any major damage!
Thanks again! RR

Panzer

Ray,
Send pix of girl friend so we can determine if she's to heavy. :nix: :embarrassed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

andyxlh

June 05, 2010, 11:02:31 PM #5 Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 02:59:08 AM by andyxlh
hello mate
if the engine is knocking, either due to retardation or poor fuel, it will damage it quickly. However, I'd expect there to be other symptoms with this problem, flat spots and lack of power, backfiring and also plug damage or very dry white plugs. Put a new set in and have a look at them, but apparently it is very hard to read the new fuels as they are more clean burning.
It would be hard to replace the OEM cams and get a better quieter fit as they are originally matched to the cases. The aftermarket ones are a 'median' fit and should be OK, but they are bound to be a bit more noisy unless you are exceptionally lucky.  Remember a cam or pinion gear which is too tight is the danger, and they will whine not rattle.
If it is bottom end, that will generaly be more noticable at idle (it was with mine anyway) and is a deep thumping noise.
Again, if the engine is unmolested at that low mileage you should be OK, but if you have any real concerns find a good harley tech at a co-operative dealer and let them have a listen to it to ease your mind. it might cost a few dollars or it might not...
Have a look at the tank bolts and the engine mounts which could cause that noise. Also shake the OEM fuel cap - mine used to rattle and it took a little while to work out what it was!
cheers
Andy
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

RayRay12

Finaly fixed the pinging!!! I put on Screamin Eagle mufflers!! All it needed was to Breath!! Hahahahaaa

No Problem

ray welcome to the site  where in conn are you from ,i was born and raised in milford

Panzer

Since you found the problem, I guess a pix of the girl friend is out.  :emsad:

RayRay12

Panser If I can figure out how to post, I will!! LOL

I'm in Htfd., No problem