May 08, 2024, 02:02:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pinging under load

Started by blk05xl, June 06, 2010, 05:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blk05xl

Why can't I get this damn thing to stop Pinging under high revs?  :banghead: 93 grade gas only with octane booster added. Bone stock except K&N high flow replacement for OEM air filter and SE plug wires. Tried turning air/ fuel mixture screw out 3 1/2 turns from lean. Maybe the pinging happened about the time I added K&N filter and SE plug Wires. Any ideas?
Timing? VOES? re-jet? Go to stage 1?
No codes come up.

Thanks for any help,

blk05xl

Bigs

I don't know what year your Sportster is but my '05 1200 started pinging and I found out it that the MAP Sensor was bad. Replaced it and the pinging went away.
   Bigs

blk05xl

Hey Bigs,

I remember your post.
Back then I asked you about how you found out it was the MAP sensor. You said you checked your codes. So I did the same and found no codes came up. Maybe I will check it again and just replace it codes or no codes. Its also a 2005 XL1200C.

Thanks

blk05xl

Paniolo

Try swapping the SE plug wires back for the OEM ones and try it. I seem to recall that on some bikes using any wires other than the OEM ones sometimes caused problems.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

mayor

it's only pinging under high rev's?  if it's not the map sensor or the wires, try uping the main jet one size.  The heads you have are a pretty good flowing set, so needing more fuel with a better breathing ac is somewhat likely. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Bigs

Mine had SE plug wires when it was pinging and still has the SE wires. MAP sensor cured it. I had a Thunderheader with a 195 main and 46 low jet at the time, SE air cleaner, and 7,000rpm ECM, and Autolite MP4164 plugs. 58-59mpg and ran great.
   Bigs

mayor

If I mind correctly the stock main jet for that bike is a 180, so based on what Bigs just posted the main could be the culprit.  Try switching to a 190 or a 195 main:

27275-96Y    195 main jet
27243-95      190 main jet

JBarrettB

Verify the vacuum threshold of the VOES. It should HOLD vacuum first of all,  and it should click between 3 - 4.5 in.Hg. If not adjust it and reseal it with RTV.
That old..I suspect your VOES will not hold as is.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

blk05xl

Just an update...

Went to buy 195 needle today to re-jet at the local HD parts guy. He asked why? After telling my story, he said the high flow stock replacement K&N air filter lets in less air than the stock HD paper filter :scratch:? So I took off the chrome ham can cover and went for a ride. NO PINGING! :wtf:
I thought the high flow K&N filter let in more air. But apparently, oiling captures more particles and also lets in less air :nix:. So I will just drill-out the black back plastic cover mount and it should be OK.

blk05xl

mayor

so let me see if I have this right, the high flow stock replacement K&N filter filter flows less air thereby causing the bike to ping.  :scratch:  ok, let's say for the sake of the argument that the parts guy was right (which is unlikely IMO)...why would the bike ping with less air?  I would think it would be a richer mixture, and I can't see less air causing the timing to advance more (the other cause of ping)...

so, you ran the bike with the high flow (but "less flowing") K&N replacment filter without the factory chrome cover and that fixed the ping?   :crook:  that just doesn't make sense... :nix:

blk05xl

Hey Mayor,

You think your confused...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

mayor

now that's a freaky pic... :dgust: 

keep us updated on your bike. Your fix is interesting to say the least.  :teeth:

96FLSTF

I am confused also with that fix.
I would said go with the next step larger main to bring the afr back after the breather change.
A few years back I went crazy chasing for an answer to the ping on my 96 fatboy. Turned out all I needed was a 1 step colder plug.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

blk05xl

I went and cut-out about half of the black back plastic cover mount. That reduced pinging by about 90%. Then took the ham can off again.
0% pinging and ran like a bear with it's ass on fire! :smileo: So now I just removed the other half of the plastic back plate and it should be fine.
The MoCo parts guy I spoke to (also a long time mechanic there), said they only ever change the slow jet even when doing a stage 1. That's why he asked me why I wanted a bigger main jet.

I don't understand all this combustion stuff too well, but what a blast to ride again after many years of putting up with the pinging and loss of power.

Thanks everyone for all your ideas. :beer:

blk05xl

Panzer

GEEEEZE, I'm still confused, even with the answer. :scratch:
                        I need an aspirin !
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

blk05xl

August 30, 2010, 10:35:09 AM #15 Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:59:06 PM by blk05xl
Could it be :scratch: since I replaced the air filter with the stock replacement K&N high flow filter, that the larger air volume caused a leaner condition with excessive heating of the engine being the main culprit of the cause of pinging? Taking the mounting plate and then the hamcan off totally, allows more cool air in, cooling the engine some just enough to reduce pinging (but it still doesn't run totally right).
Does that sound right? So it looks like even with just the K&N stock replacement air filter you would need to rejet.
Dealer says they only change to #45 slow jet even in stage 1.
Most here say up the main jet to #190.
I'm a little confused here :crook:?
Still only stock pipes.

Thanks for any replys,

blk05xl

update: Changed slow jet to #45 today. Problem solved.