April 26, 2024, 11:05:04 PM

News:

oil filter life

Started by blk05xl, November 02, 2008, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blk05xl

I run synthetic oil and changed my oil and stock HD filter after 7K. I was told by the HD dealer I need to change the oil filter every 2.5K. Is that true?

Thanks,

blk05xl

HCC

A good service interval for your bike is engine, primary and trans oil every 5K miles. This includes the filter. Just go through everything on the scheduled service list in you manual. Oh, and 20k for the fluid in your front forks. The 2.5k services were removed from the service manuals because they were no good. You were paying a tech to just look at your bike, no adjustments or fluid changes. It was a waste of money. Beware of the new service intervals in the newer models. They are stating 5k for the engine, 10k for the primary, 20k for the trans and 50k for the front forks. Just my call here but the interval I just stated first above seems to keep the bike healthy and doesn't put a big dent in your wallet. The second seems to be stretching out the services to possibly make your bike fail as far as parts longevity, which means the dealer will be getting your repair service long after your warranty is over and that means more money out of your pocket.

harley883r

One Day At A Time
Muskokas ON

gone_864

I worked with a guy and he said that oil can last longer than a filter can. He told me that the life of an oil filter was 3000 miles. The price of an oil filter is cheap insurance to make sure that it is still working right.

andyxlh

I think that filters are cheap insurance, but would balk at running old oil through a new filter. I have always changed my oil and filter at 5000km
cheers
Andy www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

BarnabyWild

l have a 1988 1200 sporty and change the engine oil and filter every 2,500 miles. After having the engine rebuilt after the big end went it's just my way of playing safe' :smileo:
BarnabyWild

02xl1200c

The interval should not just be driven by miles.  If you don't ride that much, you should still change your oil every year.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

Willie D

Quote from: 02xl1200c on November 16, 2008, 06:22:36 AM
The interval should not just be driven by miles.  If you don't ride that much, you should still change your oil every year.

If you don't ride more than 3k a year, you don't have enough time to enjoy life. :smilep:

JMHO
'All gave some, Some gave All"