May 01, 2024, 05:13:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Any tips on replacing my shocks and front springs on my Dyna?

Started by biggums, December 10, 2008, 06:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggums

I just bought a 09 Fat Bob. I'm 260 lbs and the suspension is killing me. I just bought Progressive 440's in 12.5 inch heavy duty and Progressive springs for the front.

For you all that have wrenched can you give me some tips on the change over? I have the lift for the bike. Are there any tricks, problems or surprises I need to know while taking the rear shocks off?

When I do the front springs what is involved? Do I need to replace the fork oil as the bikes got 300 miles on it? Any other concerns?

Thanks for the help!

Biggums

tireater

Wear gloves an safety glasses when you take the top nut off....
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

bigjon460

I  also am a big guy and have a Dyna I found the front to be very soft so I added a little more spacer to the front than recommended in the instructions to help prevent front end dive and now its great. I used works performance rear shocks and the combination is the best money I have spent on the bike NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE      :sswim:
Bigjon

biggums

Yes I ordered Progressives front spring kit for mine as was recommended by a tech at Pro.

He numbered it 11-1525.

If these improvements don't work I'll be selling a 09 FXDF with 300 miles on her.  :crook:

Admiral Akbar

If it's prelaod you need, what about adding a spacer to the stock springs? Max

help-u2

i replaced the pogo stick rear shocks on my FXD with the adjustable FXDX shocks.
much better.   
for the forks i used stock springs with a 1/2 inch spacer on the springs.  also used bel ray 30 wt fork oil....works fine.  took out the dive with heavy front breaking...

scoopfraser

I've found that fork oil can have a huge difference on the feel of the front end.  I found some multi-viscosity Motul fork oil at a Honda shop a few years ago and really like the stuff.

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

fuzznut5197

Quote from: scoopfraser on December 11, 2008, 02:56:17 PM
I've found that fork oil can have a huge difference on the feel of the front end.  I found some multi-viscosity Motul fork oil at a Honda shop a few years ago and really like the stuff.

Sean
----

Yeah not only viscosity, but level too. You can work the air in the fork that's being compressed to your advantage.

f-x-d-w-g

The rear shocks are easy - just remove and replace them one at a time.

You'll have to remove the fork tubes to install the progressive springs.  Using the service manual it's no problem.  I'd recommend a heavier fork oil, too.  I use the SE fork oil and am very happy with the 440s on the back and progressive springs in front.  I also installed a fork brace.
Dan
Tijeras, NM

FLH124

On my FLH05 did the progressive springs and gold valves and was told by Race tech no more than 15 wt but recommend 10 for the baggers. 15 is for the more aggresive rider.
Belray, Torco or Race tech propriority oils tend to be preferred by the manufacturers. Good  kit setups
my 2 cents,
sj