May 09, 2024, 04:55:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which cam

Started by PITBULL, June 09, 2010, 08:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PITBULL

I have a 05 road king,all stock with the exceptions of a stage 1 and SE slip ons, Do not want to pull heads,was also thinking of installing a mikuni carb,looking at either SE 203"s,204"s Andrews 21 or 26 cams. mostly solo riding, looking for good low to mid range power. thanks for input

marc

I have 26G's on our 04 GeezerGlide and have no complaints...

TXChop

26's is all i use in a application like this..Stock carb rejetted will do as well...Make sure ya got good pipes though.

Hillside Motorcycle

Andrews 26's seem to work very well in that application. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

speed limit

Wow Scott I think this is the first cam you endorsed that was not a Woods. Scott what kind of life span do you get out of the 9f, I have gone through two got about 3500 miles out of each one before lifter failure due to flat spots on rollers.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Admiral Akbar

QuoteWow Scott I think this is the first cam you endorsed that was not a Woods.

Well Wood don't make mouse cams..  :wink:  (cept maybe the W6)

With that maybe try a different cam??  SnS625 / 640 ? TR650? Andrews 59G? 

Max

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: speed limit on June 09, 2010, 10:02:09 AM
Wow Scott I think this is the first cam you endorsed that was not a Woods. Scott what kind of life span do you get out of the 9f, I have gone through two got about 3500 miles out of each one before lifter failure due to flat spots on rollers.

I make mention of those for the 88"s all the time.
9F life span??
Have a 95"er in now, that we are in the final stages of a 124" set-up,(110" Heads/62mm HPI/Borezilla) and this was built in 2005. Cams look great, and no lifter issues that he ever made us aware of.
His Wood 188 psi springs, checked out fantastic as well. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

05FLHTC

Why even bother with the 26's  :scratch: might as well leave the stock cams in there & spend the money on the heads & exhaust & tune  :nix:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

rmang

I put a set of Andrews 26n in my '05 flhtc (carb)
Air cleaner update, sportster needle, D & D fatcat.
I was going to do head work and big bore, but it runs so good I'm leavin her alone.

sfmichael

According to the specs it would appear that any of those cams would work pretty well...you are looking at the best cams for your application. In an otherwise mechanically stock engine (low compression) it would seem that the Andrews would be the better choices due to their shorter valve overlap which will work better and offer better low end driveability and power. Any of these cams should make a noticeable improvement over stock and any of these cams will continue to work for you if you ever decide to up the displacement or compression. Good choices and good luck with your efforts.
Colorado Springs, CO.

hotroadking

For the woods brothers

Woods TW-6 with 4 degree advance gear...

there I said it!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 05FLHTC on June 09, 2010, 11:27:13 AM
Why even bother with the 26's  :scratch: might as well leave the stock cams in there & spend the money on the heads & exhaust & tune  :nix:

They go 10 more deg duration both lobes and a closer LSA.. Don't look to close to me.. Max

05FLHTC

Quote from: MaxHeadflow on June 09, 2010, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: 05FLHTC on June 09, 2010, 11:27:13 AM

They go 10 more deg duration both lobes and a closer LSA.. Don't look to close to me.. Max

WOW straight from the AKA Mousinator...well I'll be  :potstir:

Admiral Akbar

That don't keep it from being a mouse cam..Nothing wrong with mouse cams... Mouse people like em...  :bike:  Max

speed limit

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on June 09, 2010, 10:41:16 AM

I make mention of those for the 88"s all the time.
9F life span??
Have a 95"er in now, that we are in the final stages of a 124" set-up,(110" Heads/62mm HPI/Borezilla) and this was built in 2005. Cams look great, and no lifter issues that he ever made us aware of.
His Wood 188 psi springs, checked out fantastic as well. :smile:
Scott
Thats 5 years but how many miles

PITBULL

has anyone ever installed the 4 degree advance with a 26 cam?

sallyman

I was planning on swapping out my Thundermax 575's for Woods Tw-7h & + 4 cam gear but have been informed not to bother with the cam swap as they are too similar so I plan on doing the cam gear only...  I'm hoping I can do this, by the way the cam gear I received from Woods is an Andrews product.

speed limit

Quote from: sallyman on June 09, 2010, 04:50:00 PM
I was planning on swapping out my Thundermax 575's for Woods Tw-7h & + 4 cam gear but have been informed not to bother with the cam swap as they are too similar so I plan on doing the cam gear only...  I'm hoping I can do this, by the way the cam gear I received from Woods is an Andrews product.
at a marked up price I`m sure so are their cams at a 120.00 premium

Pushrod

Let Me guess, Your been running Synthetic Oil,

speed limit

Amsoil 20 50 the first time it happened Valvoline vr 20 50 the second

FXDX95

The TW 6 from Wood, gear or chain gets my vote. Instant grunt, great mid-range, sounds great and with .510 lift it's a drop in with no extras needed.

Al
Thanks for stopping

mkd

pitbull ! i have a 2005 flhtci from new had flat top 95 big bore with 203 cams.bike had 75 hp and 88 tq.went to new hydraulic tensioners and put in andrews 26n cams.see my dyno chart!i gained 7 ft lbs down at 2100 rpm.overall 78 hp and 90 ft lbs tq. for me was much better setup than the se 203's.

iclick

Quote from: PITBULL on June 09, 2010, 08:00:26 AM
I have a 05 road king,all stock with the exceptions of a stage 1 and SE slip ons, Do not want to pull heads,was also thinking of installing a mikuni carb,looking at either SE 203"s,204"s Andrews 21 or 26 cams. mostly solo riding, looking for good low to mid range power. thanks for input

I see some keywords here:  You don't want to pull the heads (i.e. stock compression) and you want good low-end and midrange power.  I think if you install the 204 or 26 you will feel a decrease in low-end TQ without a compression increase.  You are at 8.7:1 with your stock TC88 and that is relatively low, so if low-end TQ is important to you I would find a cam that has an early intake close (lower number).  The 203 or 21 would give you a meaningful boost without harming the low-end, at least not much.  Peak-HP will likely be better with the 204 or 26, however.

05FLHTC

June 13, 2010, 10:38:39 AM #23 Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 10:45:01 AM by 05FLHTC
SE 204 dyno in stock 88... runs SWEEEEET! :bike:

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,25032.0.html

The 26 couldn't pull a dick out of a lard pail... :down:

Snuff™

Quote from: 05FLHTC on June 13, 2010, 10:38:39 AM
The 26 couldn't pull a dick out of a lard pail... :down:

I'd like to know, what's a dick doing in a pail of lard? :hyst:

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer: :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!