April 27, 2024, 07:24:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Calling CV experts...

Started by greybeard_541, December 10, 2008, 08:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greybeard_541

Okay- I think I've finally got most of the bugs ironed out of the swap. They weren't really all that tough. Redrilled and tapped the bolt holes on the adaptor to 3/8 (so it centers against the S&S manifold). Plugged the pesky vac port that kept losing the cap. All that's taken care of.

While working on mounting a horn I broke the choke cable. Took the number from the carb to Harley and got one... only it wasn't exactly what I had before. Close- a tad longer-...

Now when it's stone cold it just doesn't want to start (40 degree morning I can't get it to go with the kicker- the "button" is a have to) and it wasn't that way prior. Started just fine at 7,000 ft elev and 45 degress on 3rd kick consistently... before. :angry:

Does anyone out there know if a minute difference in the choke cable(s) exist? Enough to cause it to maybe not FULLY choke?

Any and all help appreciated mucho!

Greybeard

CraigArizona85248

No difference in the choke cables other then the length.  Full open should be full open on all of them.  What is your starting procedure?  What is your jetting and needle?  When it starts getting cold around here (anything 40 or below) I need to give three full twists of the throttle, full enricher, then 3 kicks with the key off, key-on and usually one or two more kicks will do it.

-Craig

greybeard_541

I have the same jetting as you do (seems to work really good). What I've BEEN doing is 2 twists, full enrichener, key on. It TRIES to start, but it just doesn't have enough to carry through. Once it's initially been run it can sit for hours, get cold again and it'll go first or second kick with the enrichener on (even though the weather is just as cold or colder than the morning).

I think I'll try your suggestion of "loading" it more before the key goes on...

Thanks!
Greybeard

PNSHR

Greybeard
I had something almost similar to yours. First start in the morning it was kind of difficult and sounding "lean" and unwilling to keep going. The rest of the day, no problem. On mine it was a loose attachment screw where the choke "pull knob" was attached. The choke then wasn`t staying all the way out while I was kicking, but was creeping in a little bit, not giving it the full enrichner needed. When I Tightened it, it would stay fully out and starting got easier. On mine there is a big difference when it is dead cold between the enrichner being all the way out or "almost all the way out".
PNSHR
PNSHR

greybeard_541

Craig,

44 degrees here this morning. Stone cold bike. I tried your routine and it worked exactly as you descibed! I'd been afraid to use too much gas and flood it...

thanks!
Greybeard

CraigArizona85248

Glad to hear it!  :up: I'm careful not to give too much gas in the summer here.  But once it cools off it's not as big a concern.  The decision for me comes when it first starts to get cooler... when do I change over to my "winter" starting method?  LOL

-Craig

greybeard_541

If there's a quirk regards the CV's, I'd have to say it's the vac port on top of the throat. I put rubber caps on this fitting twice only to have tham pop of the first time it decided to not start and kick back a little. Throttle closed the back pressure just pops it right off leaving a big ol' vac leak! This time, I took the carb off, rean a #6/32 tap inside it and put a 6/32 brass screww in there with some locktite! No more vac leak at all ever! Since then it's a whole lot easier to get going kickin' it AND it runs SO much better without that vac leak. Something Anyone with a kick start running a CV want's to keep an eye on.

Greybeard