May 02, 2024, 11:42:15 AM

News:

'94 FLSTN & oil coolers....

Started by ModelABob, December 11, 2008, 07:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelABob

Softail Riders,

I bought an old style Lockhart oil cooler at the local swap meet Saturday. :smile:   I also run a Lockhart cooler on my '65 Pan custom and think it is the best think I ever got for it. :smiled:   Yesterday I was doing a mock-up for the cooler on the EVO and I found that I just ain't going to be able to mount it where I wanted too. :angry:  It looks like
I'll have to place it right behind the front fender.  Bolted to a bracket hanging off the crash bar mount below the
steering head on the frame.  I was wanting to place it right below the steering head and 'above' the crash bar mounting hole for better air flow.  But then I would be unable to use a padlock on the bottom triple tree/steering head hole when parked. :emsad:  Well, that ain't going to work, 'cause I got'ta be able to lock my baby up, don't ya' know! :up: So my opinion is that even a not so good placed oil cooler is better then no oil cooler at all.  I live in Florida and it do get a mite warm here sometimes.  What say ye' blockhead scooter tramps, am I right or wrong? :teeth:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Flat Dog

If you were at Webster, I was there too-we probably walked right be each other! Anyway...I always thought that particular cooler was supposed to be mounted left side frame downtube, out in the wind? At least that's the way I had mine mounted on the shovel. Behind the wheel lower on the frame is no big deal, really-you're still getting circulation at highway speed.

Old Crow

The cooler that mounts vertically to one down tube has both fittings on the short end of the cooler.  The one that mounts cross ways has the fittings on the long side of the cooler.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Pzokes

A lot of those Lockharts don't give 100% circulation anyway.  You getting more cooling from the oil lines running from to cooler to the oil pump.  To find out if you have a good cooler, take a rod and bend a little hook on it and stick it up in the cooler line and see if you can hook on every horizontal tube on both sides.  If you can, the oil is just going in the bottom horizontal tube and back out the other side at the bottom.  It's not going through the whole cooler.  You can mount the cooler upside down to cure this.  Some of the later Lockart coolers are properly designed.  Have you thought of mounting it low like Harley's aftermarket cooler?
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ModelABob

Photo John,

I bet we did cross at that.  It was a good meet and I saw a few bargins, only paid 10 bucks for the Lockhart.
Speaking of Lockharts the one I got at the meet is a horizontal, mounts cross ways like "old Crow" says. :teeth:
The only thing I don't like about good swap meets is 'kicking' myself the next day for not buying something I should have. :cry: :cry:  Next month if you are going again let me know and we can get together and "swap" some lies.   :smileo:

Pzokes,

Thanks for the info. about the Lockhart.  I'll have to check mine out.  The one on the Pan is I'm sure an early one,
but it does makes a difference in oil temperature.  The greater the volume of oil the less heat from friction, etc., etc.
I was thinking about running one of the Jagg sidemount coolers, but the ridiculous prices for them stop me. :dgust:
What are your thoughts on the smaller automotive coolers kits?  It would still probably be mounted right behind the
front wheel.  I can't picture the H-D cooler you mentioned, so I'll have to look it up.  Mounting stuff low scares me.
I haven't "hopped" a concrete curb in a while that I can remember, however.................... :embarrassed:

Thanks guys I appreciate the dope about coolers, :smilep:

AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper