April 27, 2024, 09:00:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

how often adjust hydraulic lifters

Started by 1960rider, December 11, 2008, 07:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1960rider

Guy's I've had my stroker pan since '98 and always did my own pushrod adjustment on my solid lifters.
About a year and a half ago (4,500 miles), I changed to hydraulics (S&S) kit.
I've never adjusted these before.
Bike runs great, I do have a bit of quiet ticking from the top end.
Just curious;  how often do you guys with hydraulic lifters
check adjust yours?

CraigArizona85248

Never.  Hydralics should not need adjustment.

-Craig

PNSHR

Replies from Craig are always good help and correct. So I believe that it is true that they should never needed to be adjusted, in general. That being said, I had some ticking from one of my lifters. I believed it to be the front exhaust. Some "school" says that the front exhaust has a steeper angle on the pushrod being the farthest away, and also that oil comes to that lifter "late in the process". I don`t know how much of this is speculation or how much is documented facts, but I gave my front exhaust an additional half to 3/4 turn and the ticking sound became less audible. (these where new lifters correctly adjusted and sounded fine, silent, for the first 2-3000 miles). BUT be careful, I wouldn`t  like to read about how you were stuck on the freeway with a burnt valve in the front exhaust, even-though the hydraulics are a bit more forgiving in that department. Check for being able to spin the pushrod after doing any adjustment according to the specs for hyd lifters.
PNSHR
PNSHR

fulldress79

ticking in the top end could be too much clearance in the rockers.the caps can be ground and resized on a Sunnen hone if they are too loose.much like resizing a car connecting rod

ohio-rider

I just accept the fact that panheads make a slight ticking sound. They probably did when brand new as well.

Pzokes

With hydraulic lifters, properly sized lifter blocks, minimum end clearance on the rockers, and felts in the covers, you can reduce the top end noise to a whirring noise with no ticking.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

ricochet

Just what is the END clearance for the rockers in the blocks and what is acceptable both min and max?

ricochet

Ultrashovel

If you still have ticking with the hydraulics properly adjusted, you might want to check the end clearance on the rocker arms and also the clearance between the valves and guides whever you get a chance. If either of those settings are too loose, you will never be able to get a decent adjustment on the hydraulics. Remember, valve guides must be reamed after they are installed to ensure proper clearance. 

As Craig said, you really never have to adjust them once they are set.

Pzokes

ricochet,

The rocker arm end clearance is: .004 - .012. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.