April 28, 2024, 09:05:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oiling issues still!!!

Started by 53Pan66shovel, June 15, 2010, 05:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

does anyone have any good suggestions on an oil pump for my 53 i have the s&s on there now still having oil problems (smoking) in need of a stock pump or a pump that has low pressure put a gauge on idle got about 25 psi running 35psi help!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mule

I don't believe the oil pressure is causing it to smoke. The scavenge side might  if it is not returning enough oil to the tank.  Smoking is usually mechanical wear  and out of spec. I have seen miss matched parts cause smoking ,too short of guides, oil control ring coming down to the oil return passage in the cylinder etc. Could be a lot of things, like heads been surfaced and the fire ring not cut down to match,  not allowing the head  gasket to be crushed enough for a good seal , thus oil being sucked in at the oil return passage. Hard to tell anything over the internet. I had an S&S oil pump on my 58 and it never smoked. My latest build I am running a stock oil pump with solids. Good luck and I hope you find that gremlin...Mule...

53Pan66shovel

mule thanks for the help i ordered a replica oil pump from v twin today im gonna bolt it on and see if that helps the bike has never smoked until i had that s&s pump on the bike im gonna measure everything and make sure the breather is timed right and all that

panjs

What was done to the engine before the smoking started?

25 PSI at idle, is that at normal operating temperature and what weight of oil?

53Pan66shovel

the only thing done to the engine was the oil pump operating psi was 8-15

Pzokes

When you bought the S&S pump, it should have come with 3 relief springs of different poundages.  Try putting the weakest spring in the pump.  It is the same poundage relief spring used in early pumps. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

04customking

Pzokes, I just bought a new S&S pump for my '54 and it didn't come with any different springs.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

Pzokes

June 18, 2010, 05:53:03 PM #7 Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:45:49 PM by Pzokes
I'm probably mistaken. I thought that the S&S pump I bought in 2005, for my Twevo/Fatso motor, came with three.  I may have picked up a rebuild kit with the three springs at the same time.  Thanks for correcting me.

04customking

Pzokes, I wasn't trying to correct you, I was hoping I missed them. I wouldn't mind having the different springs.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

stroker800

Is it the correct pump for bike??? Did passages need to be drilled for new pump???,,I have over oiled my panheads  before,,had to restrict line..Are you overoiling heads and come thru guides??  I have to think you missed something on drilling cases for new pump,,have seen before ,,motor making 70-100 psi oil pressure..
Dave

Pzokes

53Pan66Shovel,

Are you the guy whose dad put the motor cases together with JB Weld?

53Pan66shovel

hey guys sorry aint been able to get back to the computer im not sure if the case has been drilled i think when i brought it to the guy he did but i wont know until i take the pump off and the pump i ordered is for the right year. and yes im the one with the jb weld its not alot just like 3 inch's of it where the case was messed up a lil bit

stroker800

Take the motor to a reputable wrench,,sounds like you're in too deep..I've had these style of motors goin on 14 yrs ,,I have taken balancing corses,,assembled most of my own motors..BUT my engine builder handles the oiling( re-routing ,,drilling,,pump assembly,,ect)..This way he knows it getting oil to crank,,lifters valves...And he warranties his work..It could be as simple as the wrong pump gasket,,but it could cost you a bottom end..
Dave

fourthgear

Might not be the pump .
Do you have sufficient oil return to the tank?
Was It burning oil before you changed to the S&S pump ?
Nothing wrong with ether pump pressures.Why the change?

53Pan66shovel

bike was never burning oil ever until the pump dad wanted to change the pump cuz the other one was old oil is returning to the tank and everything so idk  :banghead: :banghead:

fourthgear

Go back to the old pump.
The S&S requires some changes to the feed pasages in the case on some models . You may be over feeding the top end as has been said.
I see its a Pan /Shovel ,would mean you have out side oiling heads ?(Shovel Heads )  Restrictors in those feed lines ? I think that was already talked about.

lupe

my op for your consideration only.  i have to say. pzoke an 800 are on it.  S&z pumps are an outstanding upgrade. But, cuz of the increase in pressure as set up delievered, and more important, The extra volume they are capable off.  Frankly, it is very common to run into smoking issue,s.  overhead excess, which has been said, is very common, doe,s happen, hard to pin down, and led to the use of Restrictors. its a two edge sword.  increase the pump, then go to restrictors.  wtf.   another thing it May be.  dads pump may be OVER supplying the BOTTOM end. at any given time, By design, there is not posed to be more than 7 or 8 OUNCES in the crankcase, AGAIN, at any given time PERIOD.  More which is common with, otherwise, a beautiful pump, yer s&b pump. Can also produce wet sump, Slang for excessive, TO MUCH OIL slinging around in her bottom, Lotta, otherwise, well meaning, purty sharp, bro.s. still do not believe it.  Excess oil in crank is unacceptable added friction. IS NOT required for proper lupe of bottom.  Will lead to EXCESSIVE  AERATION of OIL> which is a CAPITOL offense. And last but not least YOUNG  MAN.  Think about this FACT.  Young man.  allow me to digress,  god bless yer pop. he means well i can see.  Hug that man while u got him son.  i did not really understand how much i loved MY mentor dad, and how much i would miss him. Till it twas written in STONE. u understand, thought so.  Back to yer hog,  picture yourself inside that crankcase with all the oil, wheels, rods, slugs etc etc, going roundy roundy roundy how many cycles per minute.  excess oil.present over design limits.  OVERLOADS the rings on yer slugs. Chiefly, the FIRST one, or # 3 piece in line from da BOTTOM.  dads OIL control rings.  Guess where this is going. YER smart, u got it son.  Unavoidable,  excessive what.  SMOKING. i say again.  SMOKING.  keep the cast pump. clean up, check or FIX the clearences, regasket, reinstall,  ride.   TO close. if u do not know, i WILL teach u, BUT, IF your PUMP is RIGHT,  poor or no oil pressure is YOUR clearences ELSEWHERE in yer motor.  all of which are critical.  good pump,  low pressure.  WARNING sign, redFLAG son.  LOOK ELSEWHERE.  god bless an good luck.  I luv u dad.  peace.

done hope post plants.

53Pan66shovel

the pump fixed all my problems

neten-o

Quote from: stroker800 on June 27, 2010, 11:05:50 PM
   Take the motor to a reputable wrench,,sounds like you're in too deep..I've had these style of motors goin on 14 yrs ,,I have taken balancing corses,,assembled most of my own motors..BUT my engine builder handles the oiling( re-routing ,,drilling,,pump assembly,,ect)..This way he knows it getting oil to crank,,lifters valves...And he warranties his work..It could be as simple as the wrong pump gasket,,but it could cost you a bottom end..
Dave Wise words indeed ..do what you know you can .and what is left give to someone else that knows how to do it.It can be painfull but is well worth it in the long run ..Rich .