May 01, 2024, 09:08:38 PM

News:

TC 88 Builds, Whats the best/reliable

Started by madskillsjc, December 11, 2008, 01:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madskillsjc

Curious to know what you'd do if you had 4500.00 to build your motor, thats for parts and labor. What parts would you add, what is a realistic expectation for both hp and torque while keeping it ridable as a daily driver that you wouldn't be afraid to take on a trip?

Don D

A low compression (9.0/1 corrected) 103" motor with mild headwork and TW37 or Woods 6 cams. Crank and bottom end trussed up with a crank weld and balancing, Timken upgrade if the bike is post 02.

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Sonny S.

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 11, 2008, 01:16:26 PM
A low compression (9.0/1 corrected) 103" motor with mild headwork and TW37 or Woods 6 cams. Crank and bottom end trussed up with a crank weld and balancing, Timken upgrade if the bike is post 02.
Quote from: Billy on December 11, 2008, 01:49:59 PM
That's sound advise.  :up:

Gotta agree... keep it simple    :up:

help-u2

put your stock motor on the shelf for when you sell bike...
buy a S&S 124.  install...
money ahead and stronger all around....
why stress a stock set of cases/crank ect....

Sonny S.

Quote from: help-u2 on December 11, 2008, 03:00:31 PM
put your stock motor on the shelf for when you sell bike...
buy a S&S 124.  install...
money ahead and stronger all around....
why stress a stock set of cases/crank ect....

for $4500 ?

madskillsjc

yes tell me where I can buy an S&S 124" for 4500 and I will take your advice.

help-u2

yeah.  will have to kick in anouther grand.   BUT... have your stock motor on shelf.
or sell it to make up difference...

PITBULL

i would keep it 88" and install a tw-6 cam some high comp.piston ,some head work and add a ign. system and a mikuni 42 carb with a t-header,and pocket the other $2500. :pop:

wavlovr1

You can build a nice Head-Quarters motor for less than that. Their 11:1 compression 95 inch motor makes 115/115 and runs great around town with great mpg as well. Or. they have milder kits as well as bigger inch kits too. If you go with HQ, use all HQ parts and have them do your heads as well. Mix-match doesn't always give the results most people expect. I'm more than happy with my HQ 95.

jb

cowboy

I just called Bill @ bishops preformance about the same deal he's a very good guy to talk to Has A good website Just told him what kinda rideing I do & can do it all for about a grand including shipping & olny down about a week & I ride a 03 FLHT & want it to stay together for touring just do a search for his shop
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

HDDOC

After losing a crank on a 07 96" stock motor, I would do as Don suggests. The newer cranks are a major set back and need to be addressed before any other mods. JMHO.   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Hillside Motorcycle

Good build as suggested, but with a Wood 6, we would set the squeeze at 9.8-10.1, and perhaps suggest a 3.935" bore on you cylinders.(107").
Great reliable power, for boulevard-blasting, or touring.
Scott

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"