April 27, 2024, 06:12:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing oil pump

Started by Dirty Dave, June 18, 2010, 05:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Dave

whats the deal with timing the oil pump, im picking up a 69 xlch its hard to start was just rebuilt was told the oil pump timing was off making it hard to start.

eglideic

June 18, 2010, 10:18:02 PM #1 Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:29:24 PM by eglideic
 Did you mean you are buying the bike?
The oil pump timing mark is aligned with the gear case off.
I'd be very suspicious.
He might just be saying that to hide more serious problems.
How could it have the oil pump timing off, unless someone had the gear case apart, and why would anyone have the gear case apart unless they changed cams or had other serious problems that required opening up the gear case.
If they did put in different cams, only someone that doesn't know what they were doing would put them in wrong and not be able to fix it right away.
No,  this stinks to high heaven and unless you got a super deal on it I would avoid it at all costs.
Also if you have several thousand to buy the bike you have enough scratch to buy the Factory Sevice and Parts Manuals.

nibroc

dots need to be lined up    :wtf:

garyajaz

hard starting?
maybe if not timed so much as to sump motor..
i agree with above in something else is also wrong.

not the first thing i look at in a hard starter.
and if he knew it was off, THEN would be the time to correct.
not put together and tell next guy..

on my stroker motor the directions were to time it in error of advance.
its a slot and opening thing....

Dirty Dave

We have had the thing started it just take a "Potty mouth" load of kicks, also it has a magneto. when it starts it runs pretty good a little smoke.

saltcaveminer

anytime you look at a bike with starting problems there is a risk.in this case the bike actually started.now that's a good bargaining chip for you cause this guy does not want to deal with the issue.(hard starting)the question is whether you want to deal with it? Salty

wreck74

Timeing, intake leaks, makes for hard starting.

eglideic

Magneto?
You said it all right there.
They can be finicky as hell and the points need to be set spot on.
How's the condenser?
How old is the magneto?
The magnets in it can get week and may need to be replaced.
That is what I would be looking at real closely.

olpigiron

What eglideic Said..... :up:

Remember 98.8 % of All Carb. Problems Are Electrical.....

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

nibroc

well my 68XLCH ran decent but immediately after modifing the FM mag with Joe Hunt innards(fairly expensive I might add) the spark was noticably hotter and a world of difference--old mags do loose their capacity over time and an intake leak will be hard to start--mag or not  JMMHO

Dirty Dave

I started checking the mag and i dont get spark all the way through the kick and it not the strongest spark.

ricochet

I've got a Joe Hunt mag on my Knuckle and every year I need to run a strip of card stock between the points to clean them off a bit.  Mostly if sitting between starts.  What I've also found is that because they're still mechanical their prone to developing shorts easily from the vibrations expecially in my case where there is extra wiring for a keyed switch.  I changed out the coil a few years back but to this day the permanently mounted magnet has never needed re-charging and that's since 1976 or so.  This mag is solid mount without an advance mechanism.

ricochet

shadylane

June 26, 2010, 02:47:32 PM #12 Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:12:43 PM by shadylane
The only experience I have involving iron heads and mags isn't good. Magnet technology wasn't very good back in the magneto days. And crappy magnets don't get any better after a couple decades.
Back to the original question. If the oil pump timing is off the engine will be harder to start due to crankcase sumping. It will also smoke due to the crank spinning in oil and slinging it on the cylinders. It's not the oil pump that's critical, it's the timing crankcase venting.
If the price is less than $2k and the rest of the bike is good I'd buy it. Ironhead sportsters always come with problems. They make an excellent training aid for mechanics.

Pynzo

June 27, 2010, 04:14:09 AM #13 Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 04:24:59 AM by Pynzo
Weak magnets can be recharged and coils replaced at a better price than HD replacement parts. These Fairbanks Morse Mags were designed for tractors and depending on who you buy replacements from will make a huge difference in pricing. Right now on Ebay the prices on the coil have an average gap of ten dollars between the FM 2477C and the HD 29524-55. Same coil, the HD has the FM symbol cast into it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAIRBANKS-MORSE-MAGNETO-COIL-R2477C-S-H-7-80-/220605995335?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d245947

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-COIL-HARLEY-TRIUMPH-MAGNETO-JOE-HUNT-MAG-FM-/110551567348?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19bd630bf4

I had my Joe Hunt rotor recharged for free a couple years back, and will be sending this guy two XLCH rotors
for recharging:

http://www.mainelymagnetos.com/

Dirty Dave

Ok here me go i pulled the gear case cover to find the needle bearing for the front cylinder intake cam smoked and the rear tappetts out of adjustment, breather timing is probabley the only thing right so far.
I can spin the mag by hand and get it to light whats in the cylinders i say this cause i did it with the carb off for grins and got a nice blue flame in my face lol.
So im thinking new needle bearing re time the cams adjust tappetts and timing and throw my cv carb on it and start kicking again.
By the wat its the best piece of work out equipment we have around the house i think i lost 5 pounds the last week kicking this old beast lol.

LONE WOLF

Dave, I feel your pain - I also have a kick only with a mag - 1960 XLCH - had it since 1972 and I truly believe these things have a mind of their own. Sometimes it will start within 10 kicks (when cold) - sometimes it could take 50. I know one thing - the speed of the kick makes a big difference, and it likes lots of gas when cold - and I don't mean winter cold - I mean cold like it wasn't started for a week or so.
But, after it does start and warm up a bit, it will restart in one or two kicks. I think its because the fuel vapors are still in the cylinders. Another thing; don't waste your time with instant start - it has no effect on these beasts. Get a small squirting oil can and squirt gas into the spark plug holes - this sometimes helps. Other than that make sure the points are set right and plugs set at .015 gap.

Good luck
Fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared.

Dirty Dave

All back together and im still kicking my ass off :banghead: so i think its time to throw in the towel and part the bitch out.