April 30, 2024, 01:26:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

02' 883 Blew Oil out on first ride of the year

Started by Kleetus, June 20, 2010, 06:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleetus

A friend's 02' 883 sat all winter then was fired up and briskly rode 20-25 miles blowing oil down the side of the bike. They brought it to me for service. I can't find any obvious leaks and was wondering if the sump could have been full from sitting several months thus pressurizing the crankcase and making an oily mess.

I let it warm up, rode it and cannot duplicate the oil blowing out. I cleaned the bike and will change the oil and tranny/primary fluid. How much oil in the tranny/primary?

TIA

Blockhead80

Sounds like sumping. Did your friend check the oil before starting the bike? If the oil was in the crankcase the oil tank would have looked low.

Kleetus

I wish I knew. Apparently, his son took the bike for a quick ride. When I got the bike the tires only had 15 lbs. of air in them. Judging from that, I'd speculate that the bike wasn't checked over very well before starting the ride. I will ask more questions tomorrow.

BTW- How much oil goes in the transmission/ chain case?

Thanks

FSG

Primary drive / transmission  lubricant capacity 32 Oz ,  946 Ml

Oil tank capacity with filter  3Qt , 2.8L

mayor

it's not uncommon for sporties to puke oil after setting a while.  After long periods of sitting, the oil that was in the bag is prone to collect in the crankcase until the oil pump runs for a little while.

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on June 21, 2010, 12:50:30 AM
Primary drive / transmission  lubricant capacity 32 Oz ,  946 Ml

Oil tank capacity with filter  3Qt , 2.8L
the values FSG posted is based on dry. I usually use about 26-28oz in primary (up to slightly above the clutch plates) and 2 1/2 qts in oil bag wet.  On my bike, if I fill the oil bag with 3qts at the oil change the bikes spits 1/2 qt back out the breathers... :teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions