April 27, 2024, 07:07:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Scorpion battery ?

Started by nomadbkr, December 12, 2008, 08:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadbkr

December 12, 2008, 08:05:19 AM Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:58:18 AM by nomadbkr
.. yea .. it's made in China .. forgive me ..  :embarrassed:

.. but, what ain't anymore .. that part don't bother me much anymore .. almost all aftermarket for older bikes is made overseas anyhow, and what AGM batteries are available for this bike with high amps etc. don't seem to exist ..
.. I finally got it thu my thick skull, that like so many things pre-evo, ya gotta go with what's available regardless of where it's made ..
.. so I've searched it out and seems that 'bout anything out there above 270 CCA has the poles reversed from what would be an easy plug in ..
.. I don't want to deal with re-werkin with new cables an such .. shouldn't have to ..
.. was gonna try the Big Boar deal .. but they appear to be out of biz or real hard to find ..
.. I donno who really makes'em nohow or how good they are, so I gave up on that and continued searching for the biggest amps I could find to fit the stock FX battery box ..

.. I'm considering this one cuz the other "made in USA" AGM battery I ordered turned out to be a POS lie ..
.. the poles were reversed, the dimensions were not as advertized and it looked like junk when it finally got here .. was gonna try and make it fit, but decided to send it back ..
.. currently waiting on my refund and am now considering this ""HVT-5 HD AGM Super High Output Battery by Scorpion "" that I found online ..
.. from here, it looks to be well made ..
.. the description reads well and makes big claims ..
.. 300 cold cranking amps and 19 amp hours ..
.. what keeps bringing me back to it, is that unlike the other choice are out there, it's full size using as much BATTERY as will fit the FXE battery box, instead of stick on spacers to fill the gap left by the smaller sized "made for sumthin else but'll werk" deals ..
.. in my mind, that probably means more plates and more reserve ..

.. but .. I gotta ask .. is it all smoke and mirrors ? .. is the quality up to par ? .. ??

.. anyone use these batteries before ? .. ? .. anything good/bad to say ? ..

.. $88 to the door

http://www.batterystuff.com/power-sports-battery/hYTX16BH.html

.. next choice would probably be the Odyssey .. but the only one that'll fit without mod's is the lil 535 ..
.. regardless of it's claims, in reality, it spec's out to only 'bout 200 CCA .. this mill needs a lot more .. I wound up with more compression than I planned on ..

thx
nomad

gryphon

Nomad,
   Have you checked out the SVR batteries www.svrbatteries.com  They make the correct size and it's available with the terminals on either side. The terminals are nice and heavy and instead of  using an inserted nut and tryig to get the screw to start they use a fully threaded battery terminal. These are by far the best batteries I've ever used. Five years ago I put a tiny little 170amp SVR in my 88 inch shovel. Twice I screwed up and left lights on and drained the battery completely dead. Then two years ago I installed it in my 97 inch EVO and ran it for another year in there. Last year I put it in my son's Shovel and it's still in there. This battery is a little more than half of what your looking for so unless you have some kind of crazey compression (my shovel had 185lbs per cyl. and my EVO has 215lbs per cyl.) they should work great. No hype, this is the best battery I've ever run across.

gryphon

By the way,
   The one you're probably looking for is the SVR20. Price is $100 to your door.

nomadbkr

Gryphon ..
.. glad to hear it worked well for you ..
.. I read mixed reviews on the SVR batteries, so really didn't put them on the top of the list ..
.. but since you speak so highly of it, I'll give'em more consideration ..
.. last two maint free I've run were the Thundervolt that Jireh has ..
.. one was full size, this latest is smaller but both with the same spec's as the SVR ..
.. worked ok when fresh, but I'm thinkin that a few more cranking amps might make the diff and let me stay with the stock style starter ..
.. no sense in going with a high torque starter without the amps to push it I figure ..
.. it's not that this old battery is dead yet .. it's just having a hard time with cooler temps and doesn't snap back as quick as it use to ..
.. still gettin by helpin it with the kicker when needed, but it's time for fresh and I'm wantin more juice in the same size package if possible ..

thx
nomad

bob_e95482

I just bought a 19 amp FX sized Harley Davidson battery at the dealership. I will mount this in a wrap-around oil bag. It has top and side terminal mounting, $125 with a 1 year warranty. This is to replace the HD AGM battery I've had for 7 years. Got me home from the Redwood Run when my stator went out, and it's still good.

monty101

got my 350 cca big boar from jerih, they can get them with both configs for the pos and neg posts. Never had a problem starting with a 350 cca. I've got two. One starts a 4 sp and the other starts a 6 sp . Its obvious to me since I have both a 6 sp and a 4 sp that the 6 speed starts a lot easier than the 4 speed so it can't be the battery that is the big factor that determines how hard it is to start ta scooter. I thing the all balls starter in the 6 speed is a lot more powerful than the all balls starter in the 4 speed. I was for a long time concerned about not having a kicker on the 6 speed but it starts so good I've really not that worried about not having a kicker anymore. Just my 2cents on what I've experienced. to sum it up I think the size of the hi-torque starter is what determines how well a stroker starts.