April 27, 2024, 06:52:06 AM

News:

3,5 Gallon OEM Tank

Started by slow_4_speed, December 12, 2008, 09:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow_4_speed

Hi,

my 1.post on this new site ....nice!
My name is Ray, riding a `72 Shovel , I`m from Gemany and used to post (a few) at the old site.
The pic of my scoot I posted some ages ago. It`s the one with the huge saddle-bag lol

Got one here for you:
Currently I`ve got a 5 Gallon replica gastank bolted on.
Now I wanna swap to a 3,5 gallon tank.

Today I looked at one and there`s something which I have never seen before:
The 3,5 Gallon is a replica as well. Sofar so good.
But ... the left half (when sitting on the bike) is actually bigger.
It`s flush on the top but once you look thru the stanchion you can see the left piece`s got a different shape
and the tank itself (not the brackets) is maybe a 1/2" lower.
Dazzeld I called my local indy and he replied that this ok. The left half of an 3,5 Gallon Tank is lower at the front and less edgy compared with the right side once you look from the front.
Maybe not a 1/2" but it is lower.
Well, he doesn`t know at which parts he looked: OEM or Replicas but he believes that this ok.
:dgust:
Another friend of mine rides a shovel with an OEM-Tank and he never realized this.
Can anyone confirm this ?

ray

pappyfreebird

cant say as ive evo seen it er heard of it..most 3s n 5s n 6ers are purty dayum close..least thats wud ive aways strived fer when mount em..i wundar ifn hes pullin yer leg a bit,,,any other fellars gots n opinion??/ hey in i do memeber the big bag pix..post nuthar was a rad rig ya had goin there  pappy

dablaze

I have never had 2 that seem exactly the same, but they are usually close enough that with shimming and fiddling you can get them to look right. I am sure its normal as you see a lot of shovel tanks at the swap meets with oblong holes in the mounts that have been "massaged" for some extra adjustment.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

v10ole

Over the years I have seen lots of aftermarket split tanks that were way different worst case I seen was 3/4 of an inch. Even OEM HDs have been some trouble over the years but not that bad. Harley was sure proud of themselves when they quit making them split tanks and went to one piece instead. Ole

bericuda

it's plain to see that they have never been symetrical. even from the factory.the bottom lines are always lower on the left tank. it's the top portion that should be even.for the dash to be level.on the right side it is flat to accomodate the air filter.the left has a teardrop shape.