May 06, 2024, 08:41:28 PM

News:

air shocks ?

Started by LilBill, December 12, 2008, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

has anybody used the late model oem flh air shocks on a shovel ? good, bad, ugly ?

pappyfreebird

i dont like the ones ive had on baggars n hate the ones on 94 ultra too..a good set a progressives er used etc is where id put my cash..in fact i dont think id replace mine wid a free new pr.... maybe im unfair since evo pr ive had leaked down in time..thats why hate em..rekon r awright when ya pump up stiff fer 2 up n a load etc...tell the leak out n ya notice on railtracks er the likes

randallwhitman

I'm pretty sure that they're too long.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

pappyfreebird

good point randmayun..ain they like 13s

shovelkid73

The length is not the problem is gonna be the ride. On mine i had the jack under it with the wheel off the lift i filled them to the recommended pressure lowered the jack and my frame was about 2" off the ground. Shovels are too heavy to run air shocks.

randallwhitman

Shovelkid.....that can't be the case.  The late model baggers weigh even more than most shovels.  No offense.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

shovelkid73

If its not the weight than is it the frame geometry? Different shock angles? Either way air shocks on my shovel doesent work.

96flhpi

On baggers shock is almost directly above rear axle.  Considerably closer to the swingarm pivot on a 4spframe.  Maybe a little leverage action going on there?  Just a guess.

randallwhitman

Yup.  Leverage it is.  The more a shock is angled, the heavier a spring you must use.  Learned this from setting up the rear on my '35 Ford.  Here's a chart showing what percentage of the spring weight you get when you angle a shock, assuming that 0*= 100%

10*   .96
15*   .93
20*   .88
25*   .82
30*   .75
35*   .66
40*   .59
45*   .50
Cheers.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

shovelkid73

thanks that's good to know I'll use it this spring with the rock crawler I'm helping with.