May 07, 2024, 08:11:08 PM

News:

69 cam end play

Started by Dirty Dave, June 29, 2010, 08:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Dave

Allright I checked my cam end play and the numbers I`m getting are front cylinder exh. .054 int. .043 rear cylinder int. .030 exh. .044 these numbers are way out of spec which in the manual calls out .001 - .006 is it ok to just start stacking up the shims equally on both sides of the cams the dogbones where in when i checked end play and the bushings in the cover look good.

saltcaveminer

my guess would be that the cam cover bushing flanges must be worn.also check the dogbones for wear.make sure the pins that hold the bushings from spinning are not at the surface they should be countersunk.lastly mike the cams and compare the widths.try to get back to about .015 and centered.relpace all the needle roller bearings now!.Salty

wreck74

It's allso important to shim them within specs, otherwise they will slap back and forth beating the shims to pieces.

buckiryder

DO NOT shim to the spec you mentioned, way too tight. Subsequent factory service bulletins recommended leaving shims out all together. I shim to .015-.020 clearance and have found many others use the same range. At .001-.005 the shims will become mangled. If the flanges on the bushings are worn thin, its time for new bushings, which is another debate in itself.

LONE WOLF

When these engines were raced back in the day no shims were used - the thought was they would eventually destroy themselves, fall into the motor and cause catastrophic damage. Personally I believe bout .015 - .020 is good for street use.
Fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared.