April 30, 2024, 04:45:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1959 Pan/Shovel

Started by Bumpy1959, June 30, 2010, 07:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumpy1959

I have wired in a small, (2 1/2 inch) tach and it is very erratic at best! The dial is all over the place, (9k and more???) Anyway I'm wondering if it's because I'm running a generator along with an electronic ignition, (E-Beyond 2000), in place of points. The wiring appears to be correct. Red to ignition, black to ground, green to coil, and blue to lighting. Any suggestions??? Got me stumped!
Thanks,
Bumpy

fourthgear

I think some tach's are for point type ign. & some are for electronic, I could be wrong. Why do you need a tach ?

motorplex88

I've never had any doins with that ignition but it could be your problem and I would contact the people at their tech department. As for as your tach, some have to be set to a particular engine as per number of cylinders if it is not specific for your application. Sorry this probably don't help much.

Bumpy1959

More then anything else I wanted the tach to keep from lugging the engine down more then over-reving but was also curious about how far I might push it. It's a built 90 cubic inch stroker and runs out real nice. I had this identical tach on a points bike once and I'm thinking this one may not work with the electronic distributor.

Thanks for your input,
Bumpy

Bumpy1959

Motorplex88----Darn, didn't think about contacting the folks at E-Beyond. Thanks for the nudge. Now all I gotta do is find their number. Hey GOOGLE----help!

Bumpy

ModelABob

I run a Harley mechanical tachometer on my '65 Pan.  It don't do much for helping the 'ol girl run faster, but it shure do look neat on her! :bike:

AMF/Ride & Shoot Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Bumpy1959

ModelABob, my thoughts exactly.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: ModelABob on July 02, 2010, 10:44:38 AM
I run a Harley mechanical tachometer on my '65 Pan.  It don't do much for helping the 'ol girl run faster, but it shure do look neat on her! :bike:

Sounds neat too!  I'd like to see pictures of the tach drive.  I've never seen one of those.

-Craig

BART

I was thinking of putting a small tach on my '50 FL.  I have the E Beyond 2000 electronic ignition (works great!) and it sounds like it may interfer with the tach.  Maybe I'll go without the tach.

BART

Speeding Big Twin

Craig, regarding a mechanical tacho, the scan below is from my 58â€"68 H-D Big Twin catalog.     Eric   

Pzokes

A lot of the mechanical advance & aftermarket auto advance timers/distributers don't have the square hole in the shaft for the tach drive to fit into. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.

Speeding Big Twin

How true that is, Pzokes.  :smiled: The part number for cable adapter 39 has a -65 suffix as do some of the other parts. And the catalog indicates those same parts can be used back through 1961. It also records two tacho kits, one of which is #92050-61 for 1961â€"64.     Eric

CraigArizona85248

Thanks for the drawing Eric.  Cool lookin setup.

ModelABob

I use the 1970-73 Italian H-D tachometer on my '65 Pan with the standard H-D tach drive for auto advance circuit breakers.  The cable is a Barnett version of the H-D
cable (Harley #, I can't say off hand) and is a little longer.  I also use a 1980's style of riser mount for the tach.  One of these days I'll learn how to post pics and show how I have it set up on my scooter. :smiled:

To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper