May 01, 2024, 04:21:35 PM

News:

07' muff's on a 00' ?

Started by Fxstchewy, December 12, 2008, 04:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxstchewy

will the mufflers off of a 07' softail fit on a 00' FXST with stock headpipes? Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

blk-betty

December 12, 2008, 04:14:17 PM #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 04:17:55 PM by blk-betty
Chewy

I don't think they will fit, as in just bolt on and go.  I ran into this when looking for some slip-ons for wife's 06 Deluxe, I was converting her shotgun exhaust to the 2-2 setup and had a set of 06 headpipes and tried to find slip-ons .  The softails with the 2-2 staggered setup from 00-06 use the black crossover/mount bar that attaches to each muffler near the neck where it slips on to the headpipes.  The 07-later softails have a crossover that mounts to the headpipes themselves so the mufflers don't attach to the crossover.

If you eliminate the crossover on your bike, the 07 mufflers may fit but if you want to retain the crossover setup, you have to use 07-later headpipes with 07-later slip-on mufflers or 06-earlier headpipes with 06-earlier mufflers.  Then the question becomes, will the 07-later headpipes and mufflers bolt up to an 06-earlier softail frame.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, maybe someone with more knowledge will post.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

RA51

Quote from: blk-betty on December 12, 2008, 04:14:17 PM
Chewy
Then the question becomes, will the 07-later headpipes and mufflers bolt up to an 06-earlier softail frame.

I did this yesterday removing a Thunderheader on my 06 Night Train an replaced the exhaust with a 07 Night Train stock exhaust. Bolts directly up with no problems. You have to get M18x1.5 plugs to cap the bung holes for the 02 sensors in the exhaust headers. Mounted old dyna se mufflers for now. Bike was used an no original exhaust for the 06.   

Fxstchewy

What I want to do is put 07' Street legal mufflers on 00' headpipes.........sounds like it will work but I need a exhaust bracket without the built-in crossover.  Chewy

blk-betty

Quote from: Fxstchewy on December 13, 2008, 04:18:40 AM
What I want to do is put 07' Street legal mufflers on 00' headpipes.........sounds like it will work but I need a exhaust bracket without the built-in crossover.  Chewy

Chewy that is exactly what I wanted to do with the wife's Deluxe. If you got a dealer near you, take a good look at your existing setup then check out a newer bike and the way the crossover/mount attaches to the 07-up headpipes.  Won't work with what you got but if you get an aftermarket mount, think Cycle Shack sells one, then you probably can use the 07 Street Legal Mufflers.

I solved my problem when a member here sold me a SE badged Supertrapp Supermegg for a good price.   
Coastal SC

Fxstchewy

I actually have a Cycle Shack mount in the garage........... :smileo:

blk-betty

Well there you go! 

Now all you gotta do is make sure the 07-muffler bolt holes line up with the Shack mounting bracket and your good to go.
Coastal SC