April 30, 2024, 04:40:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing plug ?

Started by 48pan, July 01, 2010, 08:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48pan

I have never had the timing plug out on my'76 shovel. I tried to unscrew it, but it didn't want to come out. I assume they are just like the pan heads and just unscrew counter clockwise. I didn't want to strip it. I would guess I had about 50 pounds of toque. Or is there more to it than that?

neten-o

I would give it a try when it is hot ...that might free it .. :smile:

76shuvlinoff

Yeah leftie loosie. Someone may have locktited it so a little heat on the case around the plug may help, don't get carried away.  A few sharp taps with a hammer while applying torque might get it.   When it comes loose it comes all at once (years ago that cost me a fingernail.)
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

48pan

thanks for the tips, I left some liquid wrench on it overnight and I'll try it again tonight. Right now we've headed for exposition park to take our grandson to see dinosaur bones.
Have  good day!

prodrag1320

July 02, 2010, 09:22:03 AM #4 Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:24:32 AM by prodrag1320
if your timing it with a light,get the mark in the window,then take off your inspection plate,get some white out and mark the alt. rotor & inner primary and time it thru the inspection cover hole,ALOT EASIER!!(dont forget to put timing plug back in!)

Lew

:up:  Very good advise!  Timing through that tiny hole and getting an oil shower every time is one big PITA....

No need to thighten the plug very tight. I've removed a few that were tightened up like a lugnut on a truck!  I dab on some teflon thread compound to prevent leaks and lube the threads.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

48pan

Thanks gentlemen, I try it tomorrow and I don't use a light when I time it. Just a zig zag paper across the points

48pan

Everything is cool. all it took was some liquid wrench and some time. I'd hate to run into that gorilla the tightened that timing plug.