April 27, 2024, 12:46:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CC'ing heads

Started by PoorUB, December 12, 2008, 09:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

I know this has been beat to death already, but I could not find what I wanted.
I will be running Andrews TW26 coms, .030 head gasket. What am I shooting for as far as cumbustion chamber volume? 82CC? Also what is stock volume on a '05. 86CC ? This is on a '05 Ultra, riding two up 75% of the time. I do not want to be concerned about fuel quality all the time!
I also seem to remember some ratio of how many thousands equates to how many CC's. Anyone recall the numbers?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

flht99b

Approximately .007" = 1cc.   Ed M.

Sonny S.

December 13, 2008, 05:40:30 AM #2 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:51:01 AM by Sonny S.
This is on a '05 Ultra, riding two up 75% of the time. I do not want to be concerned about fuel quality all the time!

I would shoot for 84-85cc
or 83 with grooves  :wink:

bouncingVman

December 13, 2008, 06:18:20 AM #3 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:36:02 AM by bouncingVman
Someone posted this earlier. It's a really nice calculator for this.... it even adjusts for altitude. You probably would be around 83cc... or at least I should say that is what I shot for using a 95" TW26.... When I checked the heads in my garage they probably where a little less than 83cc, but its going to work perfect for where I live. Most of my riding is going to be  around 1200-1500 ft in elevation or higher. I'm pretty pumped to get the bike together... but I have to wait a little while for good roads to test drive.

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/TwinCamComp.htm
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Jeffd

my 06 heads cced at 87 and 88 cc's I had them cced to 83.2 cc's and am using a cometic .030 head gasket with 95 flat tops, 0 deck height etc.  My CCP indicatesmy CR is actually higher than the theoretical CR using big boyz calculater.  It however runs very well from sea level to 6000 feet.  No ping and can run on regular gas if needed. FLHTC with carb.  Andrews 26G's.  I think combustion chamber volume is all over the place so no way of knowing without ccing. 

bbqjmaki

Poor UB,
I'm just finishing a 26g build in my 03 ultra , my last 26g build in a 02 RK did 82 cc heads on it had a little ping on hot days, so this time went 83cc and grooved , big boyzs heads both times, hope this helps.
John

FSG

I've done 2 sets, 83 with grooves.

Here's a pic of the CAD Math I did a few years ago.

Hillside Motorcycle

I've said this before................check twice, cut once.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PoorUB

I'm here, taking it all in, thanks so far!
Any one got anything to add to the confusion? :wink:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sonny S.

Quote from: PoorUB on December 13, 2008, 04:28:44 PM
I'm here, taking it all in, thanks so far!
Any one got anything to add to the confusion? :wink:

Yes  :teeth:

A bike that pings is no fun to ride.  A heavy bike acts different than a light bike with the same CR.
Don't push compression to the limit if you want to have a bike that's dependable, easy to tune, and enjoyable to ride. Just MHO.
( bar hoppers' excluded )

bbqjmaki

Poor UB
Got my 26g build finished, ccp was 180#, rode it a little this afternoon ran great! can hardly wait to put it the dyno and get a good tune on it, this is what I built, 95" flat top with .040 cometic zero deck height, 06 Big Boyz's 83cc heads with grooves, Andrews 26g cams,Ultima 1.675 roller rocker arms,48 mm HPI throttle body,  PC3 ,SE adjustable push rods,stock B lifters, Zippers 320 filter with SE back plate. I feel like it runs better than my 02 build with 82cc heads they had ccp of 190#, Probably the rocker arms and throttle body helped with that though. This build seems to start a little easier than the other one did. Hope this helps in your decision with what cc's you want or need.
John   

Jeffd

Quote from: bbqjmaki on December 13, 2008, 10:58:38 PM
Poor UB
Got my 26g build finished, ccp was 180#, rode it a little this afternoon ran great! can hardly wait to put it the dyno and get a good tune on it, this is what I built, 95" flat top with .040 cometic zero deck height, 06 Big Boyz's 83cc heads with grooves, Andrews 26g cams,Ultima 1.675 roller rocker arms,48 mm HPI throttle body,  PC3 ,SE adjustable push rods,stock B lifters, Zippers 320 filter with SE back plate. I feel like it runs better than my 02 build with 82cc heads they had ccp of 190#, Probably the rocker arms and throttle body helped with that though. This build seems to start a little easier than the other one did. Hope this helps in your decision with what cc's you want or need.
John   
John, curious why you went with roller rockers on the 26's?  I have been toying with that idea to get a little higher lift out of them.  How are the ultimas quality wise and noise wise?  180 ccp is perfect, that is what I was shooting for but mine is ~190 which is ok too.

bbqjmaki

Jeff
I wanted more lift with the 26's after so research and reading I thought what the heck, I ordered the Ultima roller rockers, they had the 1.675 geometry I was wanting to try. The price was right, I paid $100 bucks for them, The fit was excellent no shims needed or anything like that overall I was very happy with them, I put a set of S&S in a bike this past summer($400) DID NOT SEE NEAR THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE if any other than the S&S name and polished out a little more, noise I thought they were quite!  Jeff if you want a set of the Ultima roller rokers E-Mail me at BBQJMAKI@BELLSOUTH.NET
Did you use .030 or .040 head gasket?

John 

Jeffd

I used the .030.  I wanted the .030 squish. (I had 0 deck)  I confirmed with checking the squish with soldier.

bbqjmaki

I used .040 to get mine ccp down to 180, the 02 build I did .030 at 190 it ping a little on hot days and out west with 89 gas the best I could find. If ou live were its get hot you might want to think of changing to .040 IMHO. Did you groove you heads?

Jeffd

I have close to 15,000 miles on this particular build from sea level to 8000 feet or so and have ridden in temps well into the 100's and never a ping.  I live in Montana and some times have been stuck with 85 octain.  No grooved heads, just 06 heads decked to 83.2 cc's with kibblewhite black diamond valves and mild port clean up.  Not that it is recommended but I can do roll ons in 5th gear from 50 mph without audible ping.  Scruvy, Aceman and I road to Portland to get dynoed (latus) and I was worried that it would ping at sea level but nada.

bbqjmaki

sounds like your good then, what kind of dyno # did you get

Sonny S.

Jeff,

your bike doesn't make sense, never has, never will. It is a complete contradiction   :wink:

Jeffd

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 14, 2008, 09:15:14 AM
Jeff,

your bike doesn't make sense, never has, never will. It is a complete contradiction   :wink:

LOL. :up:

Scurvy

Jeff, lets buy a set of those Ultima's, and swap out our intake side only. Give us more lift on the intake and see what happens? Fun experiment for $50 each.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Jeffd

Quote from: Scurvy on December 14, 2008, 02:04:42 PM
Jeff, lets buy a set of those Ultima's, and swap out our intake side only. Give us more lift on the intake and see what happens? Fun experiment for $50 each.

Might be able to afford a higher end set if we went that route :beer:

Scurvy

I'm there brother, let me know when you are ready to pull the trigger. umm, what did you mean by higher end? more expensive? how much more? haha. ya, after riding on those ultima shocks, I'm not real impressed.  :smileo:
Clinton, MT

Jeffd

I am having a :bf: I am thinking that the intake and exhaust rockers are not going to be interchangeable, so we would still have to get two sets or am I confused?  It is too cold to go out and get my shop manual.

Scurvy

December 14, 2008, 08:32:43 PM #23 Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:42:36 PM by Scurvy
It is cold out, but I would have rode today if you would have stopped by. No difference between rocker assemblies... well, now that makes me wonder if there is a right and left facing one. Maybe this won't work.. gotta go look at my stock ones now and see....
Clinton, MT

02FYRFTR

Front intake rocker and rear xhaust rocker are the same and the front exhaust and the rear intake are the same.