May 01, 2024, 10:03:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

`05 heads

Started by gator, November 02, 2008, 02:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator

Have a `05 R/K with 37 gear drive cams,fuel management,fueling oil pump,lifters,and pushrods. Ride two up and long trips. Thinking of getting the heads reworked and 95" bore. Wondering if I should go with different year heads, if so what years are better and that will fit? Seems I read that the `06 heads were better and would fit. Would they still need porting and valves improved?
gator

HCC

Be careful of the 05 to 06 bump up, the manifolds are different in size. So that is a consideration. As far as porting and polishing, my recommendation is to save your money. We have not seen a lot of difference (hp/tq) between the having and not having to justify the cost. Just our opinion.

Arrowsmit

wfolarry

Might want to try a different porter. I've seen 37's pull 100/100 with ported heads but none wothout.

yobtaf99

On the "old" HTT site, under TwinCam, there's a post entitled "Head Swap" that has a lot of info on the differences between heads from '99 through the '06 models.  If you're going to do head work anyhow, I don't see why you wouldn't just keep the '05 heads.  Only real issue with them is valve seals, and you'll replace them with the new ones anyhow.

maineultraclassic

The '05 heads are actually very good heads to start with, stick with them and send them out to be ported/polished. Have them CC'ed and milled to the desired compression to match your cam choice, 37's like around 9.5 - 9.8:1.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

FLH124

November 02, 2008, 11:37:50 PM #7 Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:39:48 PM by FLH124
Agree with Stevo..have SS124 now, but had 05 heads on last build, porters love to work with them as they have the most metal they can work with out of any. Baisley did mine and were outstanding. There is a head porter list now in (Indy Shops) of this forum with some of the best choices in the country or world for that matter. It is a matter of what you want and how you ride. Good luck !
sjn

gator

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with the `05 heads and have them reworked.
gator

maineultraclassic

Check out this link, it's a good write-up on the head differences.

http://bbhp.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=91

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

yobtaf99

How do the '06,'07, and '08 heads compare to the '05's?

apendejo

I am running a set of '05 Heads on my '03 Ultra. I got them on a trade deal from Mike52 almost 2 years ago. All I did was clean all the powdercoat out of the chambers, blend the seats and a good valve job w/ newest valveseals. Running them with TW26g cams and could not be happier.
AP

Sonny S.

Vic,

That was the first word that came to my mind......
followed by what Larry said.

Sonny