May 02, 2024, 03:05:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

did I measure my valves correctly?

Started by skyhook, December 13, 2008, 06:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyhook

before the heads were installed, I used a caliper to measure the intakes while they were instaaled/closed...looked like 1.94 to me...was that reading off because of the way I did it?
always seem to get their azz wet?

Herko

December 13, 2008, 07:01:03 AM #1 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:18:08 AM by Herko
Wow, small world.
There's a guy that also uses the name skyhook over on the CVO Forum.
A post says he's a salesman for Al Taylor...a long time head builder. Biz name Big Al's Southern Perf.
I'm sure that particular skyhook has direct access to all kinds of info and answers.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29790
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

skyhook

my first impulse is a smart azz reply, but I ain't a gonna do it

anyone else

Jeffd

Quote from: Herko on December 13, 2008, 07:01:03 AM
Wow, small world.
There's a guy that also uses the name skyhook over on the CVO Forum.
A post says he's a salesman for Al Taylor...a long time head builder. Biz name Big Al's Southern Perf.
I'm sure that particular skyhook has direct access to all kinds of info and answers.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=29790

too funny. :hyst:

Admiral Akbar

If the tips of your calipers can fit in close to the valve you probably made a good measurement.. You could be off +- 0.005 but who cares? Max.

bbqjmaki

Is this the same guy that posted this, we should be asking him ???

I'm the Al Taylor that built heads for Cale Yarbourgh, Bill Elliot and Ray Evernham. Never heard of Tk enginering. T+l engine development in Stanfield N.C...Loydd Mcleary is the owner  and KT engine development in Concord N.C...Kenney Trouhtmen is the owner, I've worked for both of them. I have also worked for Keith Dorton, David Vasselnuck  and have done contract work for half a dozen cup teams. I have been building and racing  cars and motorcycles for 40 years. Have set national records won championships with cars, motorcycles, dirt asphalt, snowmobiles, motocross, roadrace etc.

Why do's he want to build a undersquare motor then want to spin it to 7000 rpm? All the head work on the planet won't help that. 4500 fpm is a good number for safe piston speed at 7000 rpm...piston speed is 4958 fpm. A cup motor will run at 4700 fpm at 9000 rpm and all the parts are thrown out after the race. They have a much shorter rod, better alloy pistons, and a plain bearing crank! The roller crank gets real pissed off at 7000 and up. Ok for short bursts, but cylinder fill is so poor at that fpm you junk your parts for nothing. Lets talk about piston speed and cylinder filling. Long stroke=fast piston...poor cylinder fill...short stroke=slow piston, better fill. I would use custom build pistons for this deal...Wiseco uses 4032 alum in their shelf pistons...with this kinda speed 2618 is a must!!

I have a baseline cnc program.

for this deal I would want to weld the ports and raise the intake. This of course requires a lot of other work!

11 to 1 is about the max you run on pump gas. Unless you can run higher octane.

I would suggest titanium valves depending on the amount of street miles  I use Del West when people have the money. Ferrea and Kibblewhite for stainless or cheaper titanium.The titanium would require beryllium seats. I use C.H.E. guides and use a intramike and sunnen hone to size them. Mostly comp and psi valve springs with P.E.P. titanium upper retainers. If not titanium valves than I suggest 7 m/m Depending on lifters...with stock lifters and 5/16 stem stainless valves I do not go over 160 to 170 psi on the seat...much more and you overcome the hyd pressure. Depending on the spring  260 to 320 at full  lift. With solids we would bump that up. 7 m/m  and titanium would be different. For street motors I have had good luck using lower pressure on the exhaust side as it is a lighter valve and needs less pressure to control it. As a result fewer problems with noisy lifters.   

Faast Ed

I agree with Max. 
I tried it once and it read "off" a little from the value that the valve was confirmed to be, but it was close.
≡Faast Ed>

skyhook

thanks for the help

herko, glad to have you around...we're in need of your expertise...and comedy, too as it's been kinda dry since dewey left!

Bagger

Quote from: skyhook on December 13, 2008, 06:47:53 AM
before the heads were installed, I used a caliper to measure the intakes while they were instaaled/closed...looked like 1.94 to me...was that reading off because of the way I did it?

I just measured my intake valves in the heads / closed using a digital caliper.  They measured 1.900" and that's the size I had installed.