May 07, 2024, 07:58:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

swapping a magneto for electronic ignition?

Started by Dirty Dave, July 04, 2010, 05:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Dave

So im thinking about swapping the magneto out of my 69 xlch for electronic ignition what parts do i need it looks like a different cam cover and the guts for the ignition plus a battery.

Pynzo

July 05, 2010, 10:28:50 AM #1 Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:22:08 PM by Pynzo
Cam cover is the same.  You'll need a battery,  coil, and circuit breaker. I think Mallory makes a drop in kit.

Dirty Dave

the more i look at cam covers the big difference i see is where my 69 clutch cable attaches to cover on later models clutch cable is on the left side so i`ll have to fab a bracket for the cable, and I seen the mallory set up and i seen a complete mechanical advance dual point set up on ebay battery trays like 30 j&p cycle

Pynzo

You won't need to change the cam cover or reroute your clutch cable, all that stays as is. Is your frame a stock XLCH? Mounts for oil tanks and battery trays were different between the XLH and XLCH so don't expect the XLH battery tray to drop in- some mods to frame will have to be made. You'll need to rewire the bike and add an ignition switch too. The battery tray won't fit with a stock XLCH oiltank so you'll need to change that too.

u4hd2

Dirty Dave, please dont ditch the mag, I put one on my 1957 back in the seventies and loved it. 90% of hard starting issues is the type and or condition of the carb, the other 10% is moisture. Slide a piece of cardboard behind the coil and seal it up. [no drain hole either]
RC
Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer