Air shocks leaking "AGAIN" Replacement suggestions.

Started by Porkchop, November 02, 2008, 03:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkchop

My old evo "85" flhtc shocks are leaking fluid again, this is the third set in about a 120,000 smiles.  Should I buy another take of set for 60 -80 bucks + shipping  or get a set of progressive 412 for around 2 bills?
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

Trip

Trip

;D  Progressives are GOOD investment..the 412,s...they,ll rebuild em for ya to when needed...

89FLHT

Went with the 412's when they started leaking on my 89.  Soooo much better that the factory air shocks, I'd never go back.

vegaspete61

What would you guys do to improve the front forks. I would love to get rid of the air, I thought about grabbing a take off RK front end from ebay. Mine is a 97 FLHTC

mark98012

I put progressive 412's on my '86 years ago (maybe 10). Love them, never any problem, still going strong.

Mark98012
Mark98012

Traveler733

November 08, 2008, 09:15:46 AM #7 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:40:17 PM by Traveler733
I installed the Progressive Heavy Duty on the rear. I had one leak oil. I sent it to them. It was back in 1 week! No charge. No more trouble and would never go back to stock air on the rear or front. MUCH better ride!
I installed the Progressive wound springs in the front. No air in front fork SE fork oil. Sure can't beat that either! better ride, no bottoming out. No front end dive. Better handling. No more front fork wobble! I have got 40,000 miles+ now on the front. 30,000+ on the rear. I retained the front fork air fittings for easy fork oil change.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

89FLHT

Vegaspete61  - On my 89, I hated the front air forks, they leaked and worked like crap.  I removed the entire manifold line, capped off both fork tops with a bolt, reidid the wiring (just made a simple ground plate to the triple clamp and ran all the wires to it. Replaced the springs for 60 bucks with a set of Progressive Suspension fork springs, replaced the fork seals and now run 20 wieght fork oil. 

Tracks, handles and brakes a million times better than the worn out stock air setup.  That combined with ditching the rear air shocks and running a set of 412's makes the bike a lot more fun to ride, got rid of the wallowing, wandering ride.

nuts4shovels

what is the center to center length of those shocks?

Nuts

Mark222

Anybody tried (do they make) -1" 412s (rear) for the Evo baggers?  I have been wondering about the changes just discussed (new front springs and replacement rear shocks), and have just heard enough. Sounds like a vast improvement.

My plan is to lower both front and rear about 1", does this change still hold up the results described above?

Thanks,

Mark

Traveler733

Yes, Progressive makes different lengths of rear shocks. I believe stock length is 13"  They do have front fork lowering kits too. I don't like them lowered because I rub the chrome off the floorboards in the twisties... I am a tall guy though.

jr1164

vegaspete61

Thank You Bro, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It's a great plan, It's next on the list after I'm finished my carb conversion.

Vegaspete61  - On my 89, I hated the front air forks, they leaked and worked like crap.  I removed the entire manifold line, capped off both fork tops with a bolt, reidid the wiring (just made a simple ground plate to the triple clamp and ran all the wires to it. Replaced the springs for 60 bucks with a set of Progressive Suspension fork springs, replaced the fork seals and now run 20 weight fork oil. 

Tracks, handles and brakes a million times better than the worn out stock air setup.  That combined with ditching the rear air shocks and running a set of 412's makes the bike a lot more fun to ride, got rid of the wallowing, wandering ride.

speedwobble

I don't want to get into a bun fight but I have found the Progressive's to be rather over rated in fact I would not ever buy another pair ever. If you are serious about ride and handling go for a set of Ohlins, they are nor cheap but do they work. Also keep in mind if you do you will have to do a serious upgrade your front end.