May 02, 2024, 03:23:29 PM

News:

Rocker box shifting

Started by Hybredhog, December 13, 2008, 09:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

I've ran into a few bikes lately that are haveing the tendency for the center rocker plate to shift side ways & leak. We've checked levelness & replaces rubbers, & even replaced the center, but on bone stock motors, they keep creeping in maybe 300 miles. Now I'm onto the idea of drilling & double pinning between the lower & center.  Do some of you have other ideas...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

bigtone

I have seen some do that while torqueing, but never a period of time after. It seems to be related to how evenly it is torqued. Have the gaskets been dressed with anything? I use hylomar, and it can let them slip, but as I said before, usually it can be noticed while you are wrenching it down. I dont think I would try to pin it.

JBarrettB

I would be willing to bet that the rocker box rubbers are James. I have had that problem in the past but only with the James rubbers. When looking for ways to save a bit of coin in the shop, I had tried them a time or two. I always use OEM rocker box rubbers now, as I have never had a problem with them.

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

gofastmoose

HI
First there are three rocker boxes for EVOs. One has on lip to hold the gasket and must use adhesive to
hold in place. The next one has a small inner lip and the last one has full inner, these don't need adhesive.
Check all parts with a strate edge. The center is know to bend out, Mine did. What has worked for me is
to put RTV on the gasket, snug them down, wait 24hours then tighten to 10-12 foot-pounds of torque.

Hybredhog

I know theres 3 pieces, I'm just refuring to the middle shift. I've been dealing with V2s' ever since they came out, and have probably been into a thousand rocker assemblies, thanks in part to lousy base gaskets. What I'm running into is highly unussual, everything is fitting into the grooves, and middles are flat, and bolts are torqued, on two stock engines ('96s'), this year the middle are shifting, and they aren't '89 models with zinc covers. Useing silicone is a no-no on rubber gasket, I.m still kind of leaning to machining pinning (press pin in lower, & fits into hole in middle's breather area, if done right, theres no way for them to move.. But I may have just answered my own question, maybe the '96s' lower platform isn't square?...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

92Fatty

IMHO I would never use any type of sealant due to extreme PIA for cleaning later. I used the factory rubber this last time and it worked great. I did use a drop of loctite on the bolts though.