Cometic vs. James rocker base gaskets. Also, Cometic head gaskets

Started by gryphon, December 13, 2008, 12:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gryphon

Two parts to this post. First, I'm using the composit James gaskets w/silicon bead for my rocker box base gaskets and they seem to be holding up better than the stock S&S gasket which were a coated paper gasket. I'm gonna have my heads off pretty soon and in looking around I notice that both James and Cometic offer a one piece composit gasket for my application. Any preference between the two. I can get a better price on the Cometics and my supplier carries them wheras I would have to place a seperate order elsewhere for the James. Naturaly if the James is a better gasket I wouldn't mind the extra cost or time. Also, is anyone here using the cometic head gaskets.  Are you happy with them. I'd like to run their .030 gasket.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

wfolarry

ClassicRider2002

December 13, 2008, 02:37:14 PM #3 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:44:02 PM by ClassicRider2002
Two parts to this post. First, I'm using the composit James gaskets w/silicon bead for my rocker box base gaskets and they seem to be holding up better than the stock S&S gasket which were a coated paper gasket. I'm gonna have my heads off pretty soon and in looking around I notice that both James and Cometic offer a one piece composit gasket for my application. Any preference between the two. I can get a better price on the Cometics and my supplier carries them wheras I would have to place a seperate order elsewhere for the James. Naturaly if the James is a better gasket I wouldn't mind the extra cost or time. Also, is anyone here using the cometic head gaskets.  Are you happy with them. I'd like to run their .030 gasket.

gryphon~~~
Personally I haven't been down this far in my evo (1999 FXR2) to be able to make a concrete recommendation for the head gasket however I would also recommend the cometic 0.030 for your head gasket if you want a bit more "squish" bumping up your compression a bit and based upon the responses you have received here within this THREAD as well as from other THREADS I have read I would feel quite compelled to use the Cometic version for the Head Gasket.

I have indeed replaced my one piece Rocker Cover Gasket, and before doing so I held a OEM HD Rocker Cover Gasket, a Cometic Rocker Cover Gasket as well as a James Rocker Cover Gasket in my hands for comparison's sake.  Thus for my application I prefer the James Rocker Cover Gasket specificially at this location.

Feel free to review some other reflective responses seen within the "link" below discussing all of the gaskets and such that must be replaced as you work yourself back up after replacing your Head Gasket, Simply, CLICK, VIEW, & READ:

ROCKER BOX GASKETS~FXR*                                                            
                *Within the above attached THREAD I am "FXR2evo99". 
                 There are a total of 43 posts "REPLYS" into this THREAD, and basically starting at "REPLY" #23 begins
                 where you will find the most interest. "REPLYS" #23 - 31 are the most informative for any evo engine. 
                 Some of the information within this "THREAD" will relate to working within the "frame" of the FXR butttttttttt
                 "REPLYS" #23 - 31 will be "UNIVERSAL" to the application of any EVO ENGINE.  This "THREAD" also shows
                 photos of the actual gaskets and part numbers that I have used on my EVO engine [my 99 FXR2] which have been
                 successful.

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2