May 01, 2024, 04:21:09 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How to remove a STUCK FILL PLUG???

Started by JamLazyAss, December 13, 2008, 01:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamLazyAss

I have an old Panhead transmission. The aluminum fill plug is frozen.
I have soaked it for several days in PB Blaster to try to loosen it.
Today I drilled a 5/16" hole thru the center to help relieve it.

I don't have torches.
Any ideas on how to get this sucker out?   :tfhat:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

scoopfraser

Probably a crazy idea but, occasionally what's worked for me in a situation like that is to try to tighten the plug.  If you can get just a tiny bit of rotation it's often enough to break up the galling.  Might be worth a try...

Sean
----
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

HroadhogD1

Better left to a machinist unless you really know what you are doing.  He can drill it out to drill size, and tap the threads, but even then he might have to oversize the plug hole.

JBarrettB

Can you get a blow on it? A lot of times if you can just whack it with a hammer the shock will break the threads loose. Worth a try.

JB 
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

FLTRI

Anything like a propane torch or even a hair drier (for a long time) will help expand the aluminum case will help loosen the steel plug.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Killer

Heat.. Try one of those little torch/ heating thingies they sell at Pepboys or Autozone. Well worth the money. The cost is less than $10.00  
Good luck.
B
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

89springer

JBarret has the right idea. But get yourself a impact driver and a correct bit for the fill plug. give it a couple of good wacks, should loosen those threads. i beleive i have seen resonably priced ones at harbor freight. i own a mac tools driver for nearly 25 years. they do work wonders. also a good investment. springer

Phu Cat

What Scoopfraser recommended is an old pipefitters trick.  Have seen it work many times.  Can't visualize that plug, tho.  Is it the one with a hex head?  If you don't want to put an impact wrench on it, how about an impact driver? Have had a lot of luck with those.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

JamLazyAss

This is the old round head with a knurled edge.
Original for those tranny's.

JamLazyAss

UPDATE -

I ended up drilling a 5/16" hole thru the center of the fill plug.
Then I went and got myself an EasyOut.
I mounted the kicker cover back on the transmission for stability.
One person holding the tranny down, and me with a bigass wrench on the easyout.

The plug fought brilliantly, but in the end, it gave up  :smilep:

It's out and the threads in the cover remained perfect.
Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together  :smilep:

Thanks for the tips.....

FLTRI

Great to hear you concured the little devil in the cover!!
So it really is no wonder why it's so difficult to find a shop willing to work on these oldsters. Even time/materials quotes are not realistic when and if the shop may need to spend 4 hours getting a 2 min job done.

Frozen parts/assys is the bane of shop time.

A good shop can get 10 light services done on a late-model bike compared to maybe 1 old Knuck or Pan oil change and valve adjust, due to difficulty from sitting or moisture causing hours to slip away breaking bolts, striping threads, and removing old gasket materials.

It seems every time I have taken on one of these services it has turned into a project that turned into a 1-thing-leads-to-another situation.

Of course there are plenty exceptions, but most of them are cared for by the owners who work on, have worked on, and understand their machines, and keep them well lubed and serviced.
It is the rather newbie who wants the "real" nostalgia bike and buys 1 only to find out it will cost his his first born to get it right. :dgust:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open