April 27, 2024, 01:39:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'45 knuck

Started by Jimmer, July 10, 2010, 04:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmer

When I was a kid just out of high school (early '60s), my neighbor had a '45 knucklehead.  I grew up riding my Dad's 41 EL, but the '45 really attracted me for some reason.  Dad's '41 was stolen many years ago.  I've been looking for a '45 lately (second childhood?) and haven't seen any.  None have been on eBay for a couple of years that I've been watching.  I don't even remember seeing one at the Harley Museum in Milwaukee.  Where are they?  I saw one police version in a private collection about 3 years ago, but that's about it.  Are they that rare?  Am I dreaming?  How much will I have to shell out if I find one?

ricochet

I'm not sure on that particular year but all knuckles are now pretty rare and expecially if in original or close to it trim.   You'll still see bastardized ones around for sale or parts motors but even those aren't cheap.  I seem to recall nice originals going for upward of like 25k.

People generally hang onto them now.  I've got a 47 EL but it's a pieced together motor (non matching cases) and period tranny,  who knows.  It's been in a chop
since at least 1974 when I bought it an was either a chopper before that or compiled from swap meat boxes.

ricochet

Speeding Big Twin

I can't give you any help with prices but one reason there aren't many 1945 Knuckleheads around is that there weren't many produced.     Eric

Jimmer

Thanks.  Those production numbers are pretty revealing.  Even fewer '43 and '44 ELs.  I guess they are all more rare than I thought.  Where did you find the production numbers?  Looks like maybe a "History of Harleys" book?

Thanks again.

Ride safe.

Jim

Speeding Big Twin

The production numbers are from The Legend Begins, an official Harley publication. The book states the info is not to be regarded as totally accurate but comparing all figures will give some idea of the effect the war had on production:

Knucklehead figures for 1936 and 37 are given as 1,704 and 2,025 respectively although some people say that 36 production was higher than 1,704.     Eric

Snuff™

Jimmer,
You might want to try the AMCA Meet @ Davenport, Ia on Labor Day weekend.

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Brrrap

My wife will embrace the purchase of a 1944 Knuck if we ever come across one. She and I keep our eyes peeled. Probably never happen, but  eh,,, ya never know.
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Jimmer

Thanks again to all who responded to my question about the '45 Knucklehead.

Jim