April 27, 2024, 11:20:30 AM

News:

Need some help to fix stiff neutral shifting

Started by Lew, December 13, 2008, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew

December 13, 2008, 04:35:37 PM Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:55:07 PM by lewy1313
Trying to help out a soldier needing to sell his bike before going to Irac.  He needs to sell his -83 and I want to buy it but haven't yet because of an issue with getting the bike in neutral from first with your foot.  It's not a clutch thing causing this (I think), seems to be something else.  The tranny shifts just fine...nice and tight except...lifting the shift lever with your foot to get into neutral is very difficult sometimes.  It does this running or not.  If the bike is sitting without any pressure on the tranny there is no problem with neutral snicking in and out like you would expect, but with the bike in gear and some pressure on the gears like when the bike is on an incline you almost have to reach down and lift the shift lever with your hand to get into neutral.  Is this an adjustment/shimming thing (shift fork?) or possible a faulty part?  I was told the tranny has been rebuilt and has only about a thousand miles on it.  It is nice and tight (like new) and shifts fine...just have a hard time with neutral being very stiff to get into with your foot.  Would like to buy the bike but this neutral thing is spooking me from it.  Can someone educate me as to what's most likely causing this and a fix?  I can wrench but am just not that familiar with the Sportster trannys/shift linkage.
Thanks
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

sounds like a shifter problem vs a tranny problem.shifter shaft bushings,bent shifter shaft or forks,worn tophats,cam plate needs polishing etc.what oil are you using?lastly check the mainshaft endplay.its a common problem with sportys either live with it or open her up to inspect.Salty

hd76fxlr

Still sounds like clutch adjustment to me.Charlie

Lew

Thanks guys I really appreciate your replies to this problem.
I think it very well may be a rough/worn cam plate and/or tophat.  I'm thinking this because when pulling the lever by hand up into neutral there is kind of a gritty feeling (best way I can describe it).  I did think to ask him what oil was in it and he told me it was HD tranny oil but didn't know any more about it.  I had the impression the oil felt rather thin that's why I asked him.  Don't think it's a bad shift shaft because there is about an eight inch of end play in it and it moves in and out freely with no hint of binding.  I will most likely buy the bike and will dig into the tranny to make it right.  Is there going to be any problem with my doing the work on it or will this be out of my league?  If I do this you will definitely be getting many more questions....so be ready!  Thanks again guys!
Lew       

1972XlchBobber

On the four speeds, not sure about the 83 model year (your post appears in the ironhead section).

It could be the shift cam follower plunger.  There is a metal pointer that follows the cam plate.  The shape of the tip controls how the shift feels.  If the tip is flat the shifts tend to require more force.  If the tip is too sharp like an arrowhead the small indent of the neutral position can be easily skipped over.  I tweaked in the old plunger using this thinking and it worked great.  I received a new plunger, it was flat and first gear would not shift over unless the gears were aligned.  So I sharpened the plunger which allowed the cam to slip over no matter how gears were aligned.

In fact, for those following my story, last night I finally installed the trap door and I'm moving on to the clutch et al.

Buy the bike, this is not a major issue.

Mike

Lew

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your input on this.  It very well could be a plunger.  Hope that's all it is.
I did buy the bike and have started going through it.  Nice bike I'm glad I bought it.  I'm doing R&R on it and will get to the tranny shortly providing no major unforeseen problems arise.  Hope to have it done by spring.  I'm sure I'll be asking for advise again soon.
Lew