April 27, 2024, 06:13:56 PM

News:

Blowing smoke oil dripping from rear pipe

Started by Dirty Dave, July 14, 2010, 07:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirty Dave

Got the old girl running and it smokes like a frieght train and i have oil dripping from mostly rear cylinder whats up since theres no valve guide seals? are my guides just that worn and can seals be put in? HELP :banghead: :scratch:

olpigiron

July 14, 2010, 11:35:50 AM #1 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:05:40 PM by olpigiron
The Smoking Could Be Wore Valve Guides, If I Remember Right, when Going Down Hill If U  Let The Compression Hold U Back  For A Little Ways, Then Give It Throttle And It Smokes, Your Guides Are Wore, They Can Be Replaced....
If It Smokes All The Time It Could Be Wore Rings....If It Smokes On Start Up And Quits After A While That Might Be Check Valve and Spring In Oil Pump Letting Oil Seep.....It Could Also Be The Breather Timing, And It Is Building To Much Pressure Forcing Oil Past Rings,Valve Guides, Seals, Gaskets, If U Have A lot of Oil Leaks I Would Look @ The Breather Timing. I"m Sure There Is Better Info. Than This Out There....Someone Will Give U More Accurate Info.
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

wreck74

July 15, 2010, 09:46:42 AM #2 Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:54:40 AM by wreck74
Sounds like my 79 XLCH that i bought as a basket, the rear piston was not only worn out, it's broke.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Dirty Dave

Well i started checking afew things pulled pipes off and could see the oil running down the valve stem from the guide so i pulled the heads and the exhaust guides are worn and the valve seats are pitted so a valve job is in the works.