May 01, 2024, 07:01:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

cam bearings

Started by softailcavie, November 02, 2008, 03:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

softailcavie

i know a lot of discusion on cam bearings i have decided to go with timken but alot has been said abut torrington bearings how are the needle bearings and what about hd roller bearings. thanks

FSG

Timken / Torrington  same company now, has been for a while, they make excellent bearings.

road-dawgs1

Timken bearing is a superior bearing to the HD bearings.  When you are doing cam services you can get either a a chain installation or a gear installation kit that will include the inner and outer Timken bearings as well as a gasket and the retention bolts.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

fxstdavew

Has anyone seen any failures on the 07+ larger INA bearings? I know the torrington is better but if they aren't failing I don't want to spend the money on a new remove /install tool.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

TXChop

Have not seen a 07-later failure yet. But i always swap to b148's for 99-06(except dyna) and b168's for 07-up. Cheap insurance.

FSG

QuoteCheap insurance.

Depending on whose Remove/Install tool you have you can just buy the new pilot end so it's usable on the newer TC's.

softailcavie

now the b-148 are needle bearings.?

Bakon

I have the Jims tools (1278 &1279) to remove and install the older style bearings. Anyone know where I can get adapters to fit the newer bearings to fit theses tools?
wasting time

Vermonster

Quote from: softailcavie on November 03, 2008, 03:15:30 AM
now the b-148 are needle bearings.?

Both the Timken/Torrington B-148's for early models (OEM #9198) and B-168 for '07-up (OEM #9215)
are needle bearings. They both have more rollers than the INA version so they're able to support
a greater load.

I've got 'em both listed here if you or anyone else is interested....
http://stores.ebay.com/House-Of-Harley-Bearings

FSG

Anyone know where I can get adapters to fit the newer bearings to fit theses tools?

Call Georges Garage