April 27, 2024, 01:23:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

All about kick starters

Started by 1972XlchBobber, December 13, 2008, 06:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1972XlchBobber

I have a question about the kick starter oil seal.  I have what i believe to be the correct part. It seams really large, 0.174 inches.  Not round but tubular in form (like you cut a 0.174 inch piece of garden hose.    Does this sound right?

So this 'seal' gets smashed between the kick starter gear and the case.  But at that point it is smashed between these surfaces, and seams like it would want to grind/roll around in there.

Does this sound right?  I received this bike in pieces and I'm just not sure.

Thanks, Mike

jmanjeff

Yes it sound right , and it go's in from the outside "right" where the shaft gos in from {order they go in } seal .....spacer washer 'if needed'.........thrust plate..........then the kick shaft is the way it is on my 57
1957  Sportster

1972XlchBobber

OK, thanks, the engine is in the frame and I cannot see the recess.  Here is the same reply from another site:

The seal goes on the outside of the primary between the kickstart shaft thrust plate and the recess on the outside of the primary. And, yeah, it looks like somebody cut off a flat piece of garden hose. And, it will leak. Most gasket sets come with two of them cut off hose looking seals, the bigger one is for the shaft of the magneto or points circuit breaker, the smaller one is for the kickstart shaft.

saltcaveminer

the pic in the manual and parts catalog are deceiving.when they say outside they are referring to the motormount side of the case(open to the outside vs inside the primary cover).Salty