May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM

News:

WTF did I do?

Started by road-dawgs1, July 16, 2010, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

road-dawgs1

From the other posts ya'll know I've tore down an 89 FXRS to change out the gaskets and repaint the cylinders and heads.  Got 'er all done and put back together.  Started it up today and it started and ran great.  Then I looked and saw mass amounts of oil pouring out the bottom of the air cleaner.  Took the AC cover off and unhooked the hose that goes into the bottom of the stock AC backing plate and started it back up and oil came shooting out that hose.  It was at least 1-2 qrts of oil that came out.  I hadn't disturbed the oil pump at all when I tore it down, just the lifters.  What did I do wrong?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

gryphon

Did you have the cam cover off?

road-dawgs1

Nope, never pulled the cam cover.  Only pulled far enough to replace base gaskets.  I did pull the lifter block covers and I did realign them with the pins when reinstalling.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

1997bagger

Good possibility of the ole oll tank oil seeped past the oil pump check ball and filled the crankcase syndrome if it sat unstarted for a length of time.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

road-dawgs1

You think the check ball is stuck?  Reckon I should pull out the screw and check it out
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

gryphon

That would sure be the first thing I would check then.

road-dawgs1

What's the best way get that damn screw off?  :scratch:  It seems like it is in there pretty good and the screwdrivers I have don't seem to be big (wide flat blade) enough.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

prodrag1320

road-dawgs1

What, you stick the needlenose vise grip into the slot and act as a screwdriver?  I'm not understanding it
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

road-dawgs1

Well I started it up again and I guess all is well, it only puked when I had first started it up.  Must have been from sitting so long.  Just seemed like a lot of oil to me.  I checked the tank and it's still fine and between the marks.  Since it's stock with that line going into the bottom of the AC housing, should I route that somewhere else for this puking issue or what do most that have puking evo's on start up after a long sit do?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

prodrag1320

July 16, 2010, 12:37:29 PM #10 Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:55:35 PM by prodrag1320
grab the screw(fitting with the slot in it)on the out side and break it loose(we use a jims # 2233,good,cheap addition to your tool box)

mkd

road dawg. my 1988 evo first start every spring would puke oil all over from sitting all winter and leaking past the check ball.i'd shut it down when it first started to puke and wait a bit and start it back up,was good to go the rest of the season.if i was you i would figure how to route that hose straight down under the frame and not go back to the carb to vent the heads.

superglide

How long was the bike sitting without starting?  My FXR will dump a load of oil out of the breather tube if its sits for a couple of months.

Its perfectly normal (sic) and should be a one off, so once it dumps the oil on your first start; starting it up the following day should not see any more oil overflowing.

Cheers

Phu Cat

An impact driver should get the screw loose if it will fit in the area.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.