April 28, 2024, 07:14:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

accel advance wieghts.-cant set points on both sides of cam is it fautly???????

Started by bigmic, December 13, 2008, 09:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmic

got my new advance weights only problem i cant set points it appeares the points cam is not right.i set points on wide end of cam but when i put it on the small(opposite)end it doesnt touch the cam or if i start on small end and get em set when i put it on the wide part .018becomes about .050 so i took em out and ckecked em with some vernier calipers and found when you measure each end to the centre of the assembly they are different shouldnt they be the same so you can set points on both ends at .018 can bike fire working off just one side if so which one or is it stuffed.hhhhelp

76shuvlinoff

Generally when they are off you can gently tap (as opposed to whack) them in the direction you need to go with a lite hammer. Think of it as surgery not blacksmithing. It could be the bolt is bent? It could be you have a real off center issue with the advance mechanism and need to send it back.

Good luck
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

oldhippie765

had the same thing happened years ago ended up being a chunk of old blue loctite wouldn't let it sit on shaft straight

shoveled71

Loosen the center point cam bolt and lightly tap it which ever way it needs to go and tighten the bolt back up easy, may have to do this several times till you get it with in .004 in. of each other.  Spike
100%  pure obnoxious harley ridin white trash